Pace RC500, the finished project.

JeRkY":3m1rdidk said:
Thanks all for your kind comments. As for a BOTM, I fear that a "modern" full suspension downhill rig wont stand a chance against a gate sized late 80's rigid on here. Perhaps if there were a special month for UK made downhill bikes, in red, with a blue spring it may stand a chance. :LOL:

Nonsense man, this is a fantastic machine, rare, ultra desireable, and retro too...

JeRkY":2tlfh6o5 said:
johnnyp3000":2tlfh6o5 said:
awesome! I can't believe I never saw this in on your bike. No chain device?

The design of the swingarm actually gets in the way of many of the period correct chain devices...

I remember seeing one of these raced at Peebles years back..yes, push up track. Chain device was a pulley kind of affair on the top of the chainring?

Amazing.
British engineering in the form of ride-able art.
Worthy of BOTM for sure.

...now, if only I could find one of the dark-blue anodized 24-inch dirt jump frames I saw in a magazine review...

Simonside resident":3e76tz00 said:
JeRkY":3e76tz00 said:
johnnyp3000":3e76tz00 said:
awesome! I can't believe I never saw this in on your bike. No chain device?

The design of the swingarm actually gets in the way of many of the period correct chain devices...

I remember seeing one of these raced at Peebles years back..yes, push up track. Chain device was a pulley kind of affair on the top of the chainring?

There are ways of doing it, but on reading around the topic, and on looking atdifferent devices available at the time none of them were really a great fix. And most of them needed some bodging to get in the right place.

The problem is the clearance between the chain ring and the pivot of the swingarm is very small. there is the option of running a longer BB axle but this affects chainline fairly dramaticaly.

Also the chain tension provided through the EGS mech (favoured by the French DH scene in 98/99) is significantly greater than that which I have seen through a traditional format rear derailleur, Which hopefully helps a little to keep the chain ontrack up front.

It is something I shall look into though.

Cheers for the further comments!

Man, that is sweet! You'll have to bring it out to Stainburn in the summer if you get it to Leeds.... on a dry day of course!

JeRkY":26z9tdd0 said:
Also the chain tension provided through the EGS mech (favoured by the French DH scene in 98/99)
wondered where the hell that mech came from. ive never seen one...

albash82":1ebvr039 said:
Man, that is sweet! You'll have to bring it out to Stainburn in the summer if you get it to Leeds.... on a dry day of course!

JeRkY":1ebvr039 said:
Also the chain tension provided through the EGS mech (favoured by the French DH scene in 98/99)
wondered where the hell that mech came from. ive never seen one...

Oh I am sure I will be about Yorkshire way during the summer, whether the 500 comes with me is a different question... think it would put the suspension out on my car :p

Back