Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GT-Steve Alpinestars AL-Mega DX

• grundig-world-cup-90 Yeti FRO

• mr_ship Nuke Proof

• Total voters
The fanboys would still get to vote for their favourites, but if a significant preportion of other voters didn't agree then that brand wouldn't make the final cut. There is no real change as all entries would an get equal chance to make the top three. I chose top three as they are posted on the home page.

I hadn't really considered that anyone took such satisfaction from looking at the final poll and seeing that the bike they'd voted for was nowhere near the top, but it kinda makes sense as I know some do relish not voting for the 'obvious' choice.

In the specific case of this month, I think that many voters who had voted for a 'non-runner' would strongly favour either the VRC-type Ibis or the very Retrobike Ritchey. Maybe it would still be an even split, but I'd be curious to see.

As no accolade is awarded to anything below P3 (at least in terms of appearing on the home page), I don't think that ignoring them once everyone has had fair chance to vote is being particularly elitist. But again, we obviously disagree.

Tallpaul":iosmn6og said:
The fanboys would still get to vote for their favourites, but if a significant proportion of other voters didn't agree then that brand wouldn't make the final cut. There is no real change as all entries would an get equal chance to make the top three. I chose top three as they are posted on the home page.

I hadn't really considered that anyone took such satisfaction from looking at the final poll and seeing that the bike they'd voted for was nowhere near the top, but it kinda makes sense as I know some do relish not voting for the 'obvious' choice.

In the specific case of this month, I think that many voters who had voted for a 'non-runner' would strongly favour either the VRC-type Ibis or the very Retrobike Ritchey. Maybe it would still be an even split, but I'd be curious to see.

As no accolade is awarded to anything below P3 (at least in terms of appearing on the home page), I don't think that ignoring them once everyone has had fair chance to vote is being particularly elitist. But again, we obviously disagree.

Tallpaul":1rojc23q said:
The fanboys would still get to vote for their favourites, but if a significant preportion of other voters didn't agree then that brand wouldn't make the final cut.
Why, though? To what end? I just think the entering BOTM is as much about the entering and taking part, as the results. Why dismiss them?

It's all these rare gems from the distant past, that makes retrobike, and BOTM, IMO.
I may not have explained that very well - it's not that my intent is clearly to vote for something not "obvious", simply that the bikes I often prefer just so happen to be so.
And I have no argument for that - I'm not trying to say what you find interesting is wrong.

I'm just voicing my opinion in that I like the current format, because I get to see (normally) a very diverse choice - even if, utlimately, the winners (or winning 3) don't really tend to be that diverse.

I didn't vote for the Ibis because of any VRC leanings - I can assure you, I'm not elitist. I voted for the Ibis because I think it looked exquisite and reminded me of the era and bikes I enountered when I first started with mountain biking.
I just think it's a baby-step along the way <shrug>

Personally, I like seeing all the entries, choices, and how the voting went. retrobike seems about nostalgia and diversity, and narrowing a choice, based on establishing the most popular, short-listed bike, when the entry was all about the bikes and a bit of fun, just seems to be going towards a common, more serious view.

And to explain, I'm not saying this as my perception of neutralising your argument (I'm not that arrogant ;-) - well maybe I am, but that's irrelevant ;-)), merely a bit of balance - you have a take on it, so do I, so - I hope - do many others. But in suggesting change, a robust exchange of opinions on the matter is a good thing.

The VRC/Retrobike thing was an off the cuff example of the sort of additional information the two-tier poll might produce (or not).

I'm all in favour of robust argument. I'm so arrogant that I don't even care how arrogant you think you are :p

I still don't see why, if in some parralel universe, my suggested poll format was run, that the perceived minnows of the vote would receive less recognition. The results of that initial poll would still exist and they'd have every bit as much exposure as they do now i.e. within the confines of that poll thread.

Tallpaul":1tfj5bpd said:
I'm all in favour of robust argument. I'm so arrogant that I don't even care how arrogant you think you are :p
Listen, I'm more arrogant, sunshine ;-)
Tallpaul":1tfj5bpd said:
I still don't see why, if in some parralel universe, my suggested poll format was run, that the perceived minnows of the vote would receive less recognition. The results of that initial poll would still exist and they'd have every bit as much exposure as they do now i.e. within the confines of that poll thread.
'cos that's just it, they wouldn't have made the "cut".

I just don't think there should be a "cut" that's all.

Back