• GT-Steve Alpinestars AL-Mega DX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grundig-world-cup-90 Yeti FRO

• mr_ship Nuke Proof

• Total voters
Neil":2jnvwdw4 said:
I suppose if it was a 2 stage vote, those that initially may have "squandered" ;-) their vote on entries that aren't going to make the top 3 break a sweat, may have another opportuinity to influence, say, the top 3, but I'm not entirely sure it would make a whole deal of difference.

That was my point. Although, before somone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not suggesting any vote is wasted. After all, my entrants regularly finish way outside the top three.

I'm just not convinced it's broke to warrant fixing. It was close this month, sometimes that's how it goes. And it would appear that a few were making comments that their chosen bike looked like it would get pipped - again, sometimes that's just how it goes.

I didn't say BoTM was broken, I just thought it would be interesting to see what would happen. The majority of the voters don't see their chosen bike win (or has a bike polled over 50% of the vote?).

How come oneschnark Ibis , has just increased another vote.. ? and increased percentage to 17% and 40 votes, when it was 16% and 39 votes a while ago , I though BOTM was over.. now I am confused.. ? :roll:

Tallpaul":2kbmn9gy said:
Neil":2kbmn9gy said:
I suppose if it was a 2 stage vote, those that initially may have "squandered" ;-) their vote on entries that aren't going to make the top 3 break a sweat, may have another opportuinity to influence, say, the top 3, but I'm not entirely sure it would make a whole deal of difference.
That was my point.
That it wouldn't likely make much difference?
I'm just not convinced it's broke to warrant fixing. It was close this month, sometimes that's how it goes. And it would appear that a few were making comments that their chosen bike looked like it would get pipped - again, sometimes that's just how it goes.
I didn't say BoTM was broken,
Ok, then why fix it?;-)
I just thought it would be interesting to see what would happen. The majority of the voters don't see their chosen bike win
Quite possibly, living in the real world, the majority of voters realise that, when casing their vote?

Most months, I do...

Neil":st1rxwq2 said:
Tallpaul":st1rxwq2 said:
Neil":st1rxwq2 said:
That was my point.

No, I don't know what difference it would make to the result. But it would mean that a greater number of voters ultimately agreed.

Tallpaul":334t2vr0 said:
Neil":334t2vr0 said:
Tallpaul":334t2vr0 said:
Neil":334t2vr0 said:
That was my point.
No, I don't know what difference it would make to the result. But it would mean that a greater number of voters ultimately agreed.
Only in a kinda of artificial, "Hobson's" choice.

I just don't see what's wrong with all the entries in the vote. Sometimes there will be a clear winner, other times it will be a close call - and with a lot of entries, that can sometimes have a result like the one we've just had.

That's no big thing - at the end of the day, it's only a bit of fun, anyway - if there's a lot of entries, there's a lot of entries. There's nothing artificial about it, it's still the bike with the most votes that wins. Beyond that, I think you're overthinking the issue - it's not about the votes, to abuse Lance's quote "It is about the bike".

Neil":3smukmlc said:
That's no big thing - at the end of the day, it's only a bit of fun, anyway - if there's a lot of entries, there's a lot of entries. There's nothing artificial about it, it's still the bike with the most votes that wins. Beyond that, I think you're overthinking the issue - it's not about the votes, to abuse Lance's quote "It is about the bike".

I know it's only a bit of fun, but I'd still find it interesting if e.g. the Klein or GT fanboys had to vote another way.

Tallpaul":2u8fdhas said:
Neil":2u8fdhas said:
I know it's only a bit of fun, but I'd still find it interesting if e.g. the Klein or GT fanboys had to vote another way.
Why, though?

Diversity is good - should be celebrated, not contrived into conformity.

When BOTM comes around, personally, I vote for the bike that most appeals, that may be a mid-range bike, that's simply immaculate, and not blinged off it's <whatever>, or something I saw that simply appeals to my sense of nostalgia - so something that personally appeals to me. And in doing so, I tacitly realise that such a choice may have precisely no true impact on what wins - but so what, I don't care, I voted on the bike I liked best.

Sometimes... ok rarely... well, ok then, singularly ;-) that choice has actually got near, or won. To my mind, that was a fortunate coincidence.

If I'm going to vote, I'd rather it not be simply dismissed as insignificant.

Strange how BOTM finished and another vote went in for the ibis.. dont know about anyone else , but I find this strange..

:LOL:

I'm suppresing diversity now? Good grief, I speculated on what difference a format change would make. You wouldn't find it interesting, I would.

Tallpaul":3781azh2 said:
:LOL:

I'm suppresing diversity now? Good grief, I speculated on what difference a format change would make.
And then went on to talk about people who'd naturally vote for certain things, having to vote for others...?

How or why is that a good thing?

Interesting, is a separate thing, but how is it a good thing?
Tallpaul":3781azh2 said:
You wouldn't find it interesting, I would.
Not sure about interesting - it probably would be, but I don't see it as desirable.

It almost hints or implies some sort of "right" view, that's all, that's why I don't like the idea. It's where it seems to be coming from, as opposed to the outcome.

People enter bikes to BOTM - by shortlisting them, they're effectively being dismissed as insignificant, outdone by the popular. And the same for any that have voted for them.

Personally, one of the things I like about BOTM, is looking at the results and seeing the votes cast for bikes, that whilst probably have got no chance of winning, still get a fair number of votes - to me, that's much more interesting, than whether some consensus has occurred.

Back