Ribble 753

cromoman

Retro Guru
A while back, a mate of mine gave me his old Ribble. He'd bought it new in about 1995, and it was originally a very nice bike - 753 frame, Record group and Open 4 CD rims.

When I took charge of it, it had been festering in his back garden, doing occasional pub duties.

DSCF0683.JPG

DSCF0685.JPG

DSCF0689.JPG

Unfortunately, there were a few bits that couldn't be salvaged. The hubs were totally shot, the rear brake was so badly stuck to the frame I had to grind it off and the ratchet in the right hand shifter was almost gone. The forks were very badly rusted around the crown and threads too.

I couldn't be bothered to source 8 speed Campagnolo hubs, and I had a pair of Daytona 9/10 speed in the parts box, so I decided to find some 'old' 9-speed levers in order that I could use the nice Record Titanium derailleur. I found some Athena 9-speed on eBay.

With some paint stripper, elbow grease, primer, paint and assistance from my Dad (who's handy with a paint gun), I managed to get it refurbed.

IMG_1508.CR2.jpg

IMG_1511.CR2.jpg

The front wheel in the photo is temporary (I have the correct one made up now). The chorus cranks were given to me by a clubmate for free. I'm pleased with how well the deraillers have cleaned up, and how well they work with the Athena levers. It's not that retro with the carbon fork but it's a steel frame with pointy campag shifters...

Now all I need to do is get some decals made up.

I miss my 531 Ribble (stolen last year) Lovely bike and really opened my eyes to the idea.

Going to have a rest for a while after just completing my RC500, but a nice steel road bike is looking likely to be my next project, after all by far my most time in the saddle is spent on the daily commute, it would be nice to have something a little more purposeful and comfortable to do it on.

Steve Kish":3eqmogrb said:
Great job on the frame - any 753 is worth saving. :p

I've just my hands on a Peugeot 753 which is for resale. It's 22" (so to small for me) c-2-t and needs some TLC and a respray as it's (faded) fluo pink with Colnago transfers.

Don't blame me - I didn't do it!!

As for the OP, it's come up very well condsidering the condition. Can't you get transfers from Ribble?

LGF handy tip no. 36b:

garden salavage bikes: drizzle in 3in1 oil, leave somewhere indoors for about a couple of days and then attack with suitable spanners and allen keys.

Its my living, btw... :p :D

Sorry, forgot to say, very nice story and good rebuild - thats how it should be.

Nice job, looks really good.
Ribble, despite them been known as budget bikes makers,
have made some real nice rides.

Ribble were better a few years ago.

IIRC, Chris Boardman rode a Ribble in 1992 when he broke the RTTC 25-mile record with a '47', just a few weeks before he won the Olympic pursuit title in Barcelona.

Reynolds 753 tubing could only be bought and used by frame builders approved and certified by Reynolds. It was generally accepted as the most exclusive mandrel-drawn tubing out there.

I've got a copy of the original list of approved 753 builders - and there weren't many!

Not sure if anyone is going pick up on this now, but I am trying to identify an old 753 frame and its been suggested that it might be a Ribble, see thread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=337974&hilit=ID+753+frame&start=0

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/id-rey ... st-4039180

Mine looks very different to yours, but the arched rear brake mount looks familiar. What marking/numbering on a Ribble frame would have been used? any suggestions?

Nice bike you built up, interested in the carbon forks as I have a pair of Eastons to go on when frame repainted.

Back