Boulder Bicycles Defiant

scant":4a0oj3xf said:
I always wondered about these, as the seatpost isnt able to drop any lower than the top tube due to the shock, does the extended seattube flex much? later models obviously have a reinforcing tube from the extended seattube to the top tube.

It wasn't the later ones that had the extra bracing, it depended on the material. Steel frames don't have it, but the aluminium and Ti frames do.

And yes the steel frames are heavy they are made from 4130. My old Intrepid frame was over 7lb. and was dubbed he "Black Anchor" because of its' weight. When we had to get it on the car roof mounted bike carrier, it was almost a 2 person job!

LQQK":28grblst said:
scant":28grblst said:
I always wondered about these, as the seatpost isnt able to drop any lower than the top tube due to the shock, does the extended seattube flex much? later models obviously have a reinforcing tube from the extended seattube to the top tube.

It wasn't the later ones that had the extra bracing, it depended on the material. Steel frames don't have it, but the aluminium and Ti frames do.

And yes the steel frames are heavy they are made from 4130. My old Intrepid frame was over 7lb. and was dubbed he "Black Anchor" because of its' weight. When we had to get it on the car roof mounted bike carrier, it was almost a 2 person job!

so does the seattube flex much without the brace? 7lb isnt too bad. early 90s yeti fros & ultimates were 6lb fully rigid!

[/quote]so does the seattube flex much without the brace? 7lb isnt too bad. early 90s yeti fros & ultimates were 6lb fully rigid![/quote]

I never noticed any flex, and no one I rode with commented that they could see the seat tube flex.

I never thought about this whole flex thing til Scant mentioned it, then :shock: Thoughts of snapping go through my mind

I loved my boulder, and I found that it worked and matched a manitou just fine. If the rear end is a bit stiff, you can wind the perload back, or go with thinner oil. It makes a heck ofa difference as the shock is acted upon directly, with no linkage. I ran solkolene 5w in the end.
They aren't the lightest, but well engineered and durable. I had mne fo years. And although it looks like an engineering phallicy, the seat tube definately doesn't flex.
Ad jez says in his ad he's reduced his, for a quick sale- whats he asking. . ?

Back