My 89 Rockhopper Comp with dirtdrops

Rockcombo

That looks brilliant, really smart. One of the nicest colours as well :cool:
It was the Rockcombo that came with dirt drops in 89, nice bikes.

Jamie

Nice job; the classic Specialized colour scheme, IMO. Pretty sure it's from 1988; the angles and fork rake changed from '99 onwards.

My take on the same theme: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68660&

Of my bikes, it's probably the last I'd sell, since it's monetary value is so low (the WTB bars are worth more than the frame). It's also the bike that does everything: commuting, shopping, touring, singletrack... In fact I think I'll take it out in the woods this afternoon in preference to assembling flat packed furniture.

What a coincidence! I'm in the process of building up an '89 Rockhopper frame into a singlespeed and using On-One Midge Bar drops. I've sourced a pair of tektro brake levers which actually look pretty high quality in the flesh. I've decided not to repaint the frame and intend to clean it up and give it a coat of clear laquer so that it displays it's battle scars with pride!
I intend to use it as a commuter, and to that end will be fitting slicks....I may at some point chuck some knobblies on it though and see how it rides the rough stuff on the drops.

By the way, that's a great job you've made of yours :cool:

rockcombo-1.jpg

heres the rockcombo i had BITD rode it with the drops for a while but prefered the flat bars for offroad work :p

looking nice that bike of your's :D

d

It's a small frame for me so she's already quite nimble on road. I tell you what though, riding fast downhill without touching the brakes is quite something if you have the nerve. Maybe Tomac had it right.

Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me asking here, I've tried on the How much thread with no response...
Just picked up a bike with a pair of Specialized RM 2 dirt drops on - not my kind of thing, so looking to sell - what sort of money do they fetch ?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Back