modern retro...

dookie

Kona Fan
took a deal i couldn't refuse on this reynolds 631/easton ec70 jamis sputnik recently and joined the fixie kids...gotta get me knickers/bullhorns/cappa/'zine pronto! actually, to be a road trainer w/drop bars & brakes, cane creek wheels.

too many parts still in the mail...i can't wait to ride it!

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,430
done!

jamis.jpg

Highlights: new Reynolds 631 frame (handmade, but in Taiwan), Easton EC70 fork (alloy steerer), Stronglight crank, Cane Creek Volos track wheels, Cinelli Graphis stem, 17.9lb as pictured, ~$500 spent after all said/done. Only immediate plans are a steerer trim and spacer blackout, and the replacement of the generic/unsafe front caliper with something trick that actually stops...I'm thinking Mavic SSC.

I've done an hour shake-down run on rollers, and a couple ~40 milers on the road with it so far and can say the following:

Ouch. 48x16 is a bit much gear for my fitness and the local rolling hills. I haven't had to walk, but a couple times I thought I might. I plan to drop to 17t. FWIW, I've been SSing offroad for a couple years, so low-RPM high-torque situations are not new to me (or my knees). Momentum is my friend!

*Great* ride. I'm a bit of a steel zealot, and it's everything I hoped...light, fast, comfortable. My other road ride is a geared Columbus EL-OS frame with an Ouzo Pro, which is not so different on paper, and the Jamis somehow feels both more compliant and more efficient. The tar and gravel buzz just disappears. I dunno how...but I like.

My legs need to relearn fixed-gear suppleness. I've had a couple leg locks that gave me quite a jolt (trying to coast, duh). Hitting that cadence sweet spot and holding it up a grade is spiritual!

Wish me luck...

Back