Shonkjumper No Moar! Macretro 1990 Stumpjumper

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
So this is the Macretro Stumpjumper - currently mine, but the frame & fork were originally discovered in Edinburgh's Bike Station by velomaniac, and then moved on to clockworkgazz - his original build thread here.

Like Gazz, I built it up into a shonky singlespeed and enjoyed it for a few weeks.

October 2009
shonkfactor9mrscott.jpg

It's definitely lived a hard life - the patina had patina if you know what I mean. Surface rust was beginning to show in places, some of the decals were mostly not there, so a powdercoating was duly arranged and some repro stickers courtesy of gil were sorted.

If you've seen one of these Stumpy's in the flesh, you'll know that the original paint is fantastic - a pearlescent black that looks almost plum coloured depending on the light, but seems to change to an old-school brown on a dull day. The powdercoater couldn't get close unfortunately, so I settled on a dark metallic grey. Nothing really like the original, but I think it looks good. Very, very happy with the new decals too.

February 2010
stickersq.jpg

Anyway, planning on building it up mostly period correct. Will be deviating when it comes to the brakes (shall be slapping on some Tomac Maguras) and may fart about in the stem / bar area too.

Well that took a bit longer than I thought :oops:

July 2010
DSC_2936.NEF.jpg

Quick update, the patina is back and after sitting stripped and unloved under the house, back to life as a chunky tyred, bullmoose barred, single speed.

August 2011
dsc4653nef.jpg

watching this thread closely- great job you have done there my main man, next to the yo, the best handling bike I have ever ridden really regret giving it up now :cry:

i love patina then i see a minty frame and then i love repaints!

Looking forward to seeing this finished. I see it used to have a Girvin flexstem on, I had one of those when I was a kid

Cheers gents! A wee bit of progress this week - fitted a very nice NOS DX headset, and cleaned up the rather minty wheelset (Mavic 231 on XT 730/732 hubs) and popped on a Smoke and a Dart.

dsc2356.jpg

dsc2357.jpg

Back