Long distance advice?!

Nice one drystonepaul that's a very comprehensive list and I'm sure it'll be very useful, and thanks again to everyone else for your efforts.

Staf.

Great call on the B17, after 2 weeks you will have fallen inlove with an inanimate object :LOL: since your a tart have a look at a swallow or the new ltd edition engraved chap. Would make a nice momento of your trip too.

Another good call on the Ortlieb gear, mines still going strong after 15odd years.

Other than that good shorts would be my next priority, pearl izumi and spesh BG stuff works for me but everyones different.

I wouldn't worry about the fitness aspect, it really isn't that far and by the end of the fortnight you'll be pissing 50 miles a day. FWIW I wouldn't bother with the 50 mile a day thing, just take it as it comes. Look at the map and decide where your going that day, try not to plan too much and enjoy the free spirit bit :) Wouldnae worry about food to much either you'll be ravenous so tuck into the best France has to offer. Sounds like a great trip anyroads, its something you'll remember for the rest of your life :cool:

For some inspiration pick up the Alisatir Humphreys books, smashing read :)

kaiser":31ufnppt said:
For some inspiration pick up the Alisatir Humphreys books, smashing read :)

Good call on Al Humpreys. I especially enjoyed the part of his journey when he rode through Siberia in winter, just about surviving on a diet of cheap Russian ice cream and sleeping in a crap tent with a great big hole in it. Truly inspirational stuff. :cool:

And yes, the B17 is indeed a touring classic.

Back