1991 Rocky Mountain Titanium

RockiMtn":206cmgc3 said:
Anthony":206cmgc3 said:
RockiMtn":206cmgc3 said:
strange bottom bracket i found in it. it's a UN-72E. it has a spacer on the drive side and also some sort of collar on the axle. i thought it was shot as it didn't spin at all, but once i removed one cup, it was smooth. maybe the cup was press on the bb too tight???
Pity it's suspect and you're so far away, I could just do with a UN72E! Puzzled why it's in this frame though - is it a 68mm bb in a 73mm shell? Even if so, it would be a bit tight on the non-drive side, surely?
Figured out the E stands for E-plate mounted front mech. Believe it's 68mm on the cup but I'll confirm. I'll test it out a little more tonight when i get home. I'm pretty sure it might have been just the cups being overtightened onto the bb forcing it to stick. Not sure what you mean about it being a bit tight on the non-drive. Can you explain?
I just meant that an E bb has less axle protruding on the drive side so as to preserve the chainline as the bb fits outside the fm mounting plate. So a desperate owner could fit a 68mm E bb to a 73mm bb shell to get the chainline right(ish). Not much of a solution though because (a) the non-driveside adapter wouldn't tighten up the bb and (b) the non-drive side would be shifted to the right which could make it tight for clearance against the chainstay.

It actually sounds more likely that the RM bb shell is a 68 and so the spacer was there to stop the bb being too big for the shell (as the fm mounting plate is absent). I don't know what you mean by a collar though, I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe in tightening up the adaptor against this collar you can foul the axle somehow and it won't turn?

Hey don't knock it - maybe the fact that the bb wouldn't turn persuaded the owner to give the frame away?!?

Not bad karma....for hanging on the wall!

IMO I'd look at fixing that before riding

Anthony":2kr99e2w said:
I just meant that an E bb has less axle protruding on the drive side so as to preserve the chainline as the bb fits outside the fm mounting plate. So a desperate owner could fit a 68mm E bb to a 73mm bb shell to get the chainline right(ish). Not much of a solution though because (a) the non-driveside adapter wouldn't tighten up the bb and (b) the non-drive side would be shifted to the right which could make it tight for clearance against the chainstay.

It actually sounds more likely that the RM bb shell is a 68 and so the spacer was there to stop the bb being too big for the shell (as the fm mounting plate is absent). I don't know what you mean by a collar though, I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe in tightening up the adaptor against this collar you can foul the axle somehow and it won't turn?

Hey don't knock it - maybe the fact that the bb wouldn't turn persuaded the owner to give the frame away?!?

K, just checked the BB and it is indeed 68mm and it's smooth. the frame BB shell is also 68mm. i think it was either cuz it was cold, as it was sitting outside for a while in freezing weather when i was playing with it, or the cups might have been over-tightened a little bit too much.

if you look at the third pic of the bb, there's gold colour collar/ring on the axle itself inside the BB cup that i've not seen before. i'm guessing it's for the E-plate or whatever.

the prev owner gave me the frame as he knew i really wanted it, regardless of the dents. it had nothing to do with the bb, as it wasn't seized in the frame and was removed easily enough. he is a very generous person and i have nothing but praise for the guy.

anyway, i've sent you an PM regarding the BB so if you want it, let me know. ;)

Neil G":2hmfhcix said:

i don't think this will see too much heavy off-roading so i'm not too concerned. but what would you suggest?

I don't know wether that can be fixed or not....would be worth checking it out htough.

Not a problem if ridden lightly but what if your with mates and the red mist descends on a technical downhill or something....you could forget it's even dented!

Ok come on! RockiMtn are you single handedly trying to corner the market on all things Old School RM and Syncros for the Southern Ontario protion of the planet? WOW, how do you find this stuff? I may have to make a special drive to Toronto to come and see this collection in person.

Dents or no dents, that is outstanding. And did I read correctly; this was given to you?

More on topic now. I wouldn't be too concerned about riding it with that top tube or even with the down tube like that so long as its nothing technical. As for repairs, one of the custom builders in TO should be able to help you out. My guess is that the tube would have to be replaced if you really wanted to fix it. You can hammer out a dent to a certain degree but you need an access point in order to get to it from behind the dent. I'm guessing there is a small hole inside the head tube to both the top and down tube to allow for moisture to escape but I imagine it's too small to fit a tool inside to the area in question. Who knows? I'd contact a builder (even True North here in Guelph.... they do Ti) and send some pics. E-mail is cheap and expert opinions are worth wtheir weight in gold.

What was the "stupid" story explaining the dents? Stupid stories are fun to hear about. Was it stupid as in a ridiculous mishap with the bike or stupid as in an obvious lie to try and avoid the embarassment of the truth? Either way it should be funny. All mishaps normally are.

So lastly. Where exactly do you live in TO and when will you be away from your home for say an hour or so?

bagpipes you forgot Race Face as well ;)

what are you belly aching about? you got a Thunderbolt, don't u? and i seem to recall a large collection of other RMs in your stable. :LOL:

btw, where are those pics you promised of that said TB???

but anyway, i don't have an Altitude, so my collection can't be that good. :roll:

if you read one of my earlier posts, it involved a lot of … sponge baths.

anyway, all i was given when i asked was "stupid". no story, just "stupid". sorry, wish i had more for ppl but that's all i got. i'm dying to know myself.

most likely i'll build it up and ride it as is. won't see much heavy use, if any since i do have other steeds in the stable with less worry.

Hi Frank,

Congrats !! A Titanium in this size is hard to find, wow!!!. A few dents don't matter. Patina can be more charming than perfection :)
Looking forward for the final built.

Cheers,
Ben

RockiMtn":14q881v4 said:
Neil G":14q881v4 said:

i don't think this will see too much heavy off-roading so i'm not too concerned. but what would you suggest?

Ride it. It's a dent and not a crimp. If the frame was already crimped there, then I'd worry about it folding, but a dent? Meh! Is it weaker than if it weren't damaged at all?...marginally. Will you ever notice?...not likely. RIDE IT! :cool:

Latest posts

Back