Pace RC500, the finished project.

BOTM is pure understatement! Congratulations on the completion... It's stunning mate, awesome looks well captured.. Wonder where the others got to given you and a sheep own a majority :LOL:

Planning to get it dirty?

JeRkY":3cljzfq2 said:
A brief back ground to my longest running build.
Soon after I joined this forum I stumbled across a thread reporting that a bike shop in central London had a Pace RC500 with original RC150 monster DH forks and hope bulb rear hub on display in the window.

Thank you to the good people of Retrobike who have contributed information parts and comments during this build.

*Feels a warm glow of satisfaction at seeing this finished!*

Glad I could help!

PaceDHandMonsters.jpg

Ta-daaaaaaa, as it was in the shop!!!

Ya need some old silver Hope Big-Uns for that build Jerky.

johnnyp3000":37w4ai1a said:
awesome! I can't believe I never saw this in on your bike. No chain device?

The design of the swingarm actually gets in the way of many of the period correct chain devices... However it is something I have considered as an addition.

johnnyp3000":37w4ai1a said:
what does that adjustable looking arc looking type thing in front of the BB do?

The theory is the cam action of the arc allows spring rate adjustment.

orange71":37w4ai1a said:
not much clearance for the piggyback :shock:
Although not excessive, it isnt as close as it looks in these pictures. ;)

stevetait":37w4ai1a said:
Planning to get it dirty?
I am not a DH rider...tbh I dont see the point :p but yes I will give it an outing at some point.

LeeDevelopment":37w4ai1a said:
Ya need some old silver Hope Big-Uns for that build Jerky.

I did consider Biguns as the centres for the HED rims I am assembling. However the frame was supplied with a Bulb rear when I purchased it. Which also has a unique (I believe) spacer that fits the rear axle which steps down from 20 to 12mm, So I opted to keep on with that hub and built up from there.

The Heds will also be on bulbs, mainly because I have all the axle conversion kits and will then be able to use them on other bikes in the fleet too.

I do love the machining that goes into the Biguns though, and appreciate they are more inkeeping with the time of the design.

Thanks all for your kind comments. As for a BOTM, I fear that a "modern" full suspension downhill rig wont stand a chance against a gate sized late 80's rigid on here. Perhaps if there were a special month for UK made downhill bikes, in red, with a blue spring it may stand a chance. :LOL:

Fantastic job there JeRkY. All the time and effort has certainly paid off and a strong contender in any BoTM.
I'd love to see it in the flesh. :cool:

Back