X-lite 1997 Pro Titanium

wynne":e7o70ccm said:
Thanks for the information.

I know that this a frame I'm going to keep for a long time. It's got so much life in it that it's a delight to ride. Relative to the Marin Team Ti that I had before I bought this frame it just feels like so much more fun to ride.

Rich

Attachments

• TAURUS Seat Tube Fatigue.JPG
    TAURUS Seat Tube Fatigue.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 3,434
Fatigue?

Looks to me like the seatpost was shimmed, but the shim was too short.

A Frame should never crack there.

Get it welded! (Preferably by someone how has the proper erquipment, shielding gas, or even electron beam welding machine)

Tommi74":32k20got said:
Fatigue?

Looks to me like the seatpost was shimmed, but the shim was too short.

A Frame should never crack there.

Get it welded! (Preferably by someone how has the proper erquipment, shielding gas, or even electron beam welding machine)

Have you looked carefully down the seat tube on these frames?
It is shimmed with an alloy sleeve. The "USE" sleeve that was fitted by the dealer is the same length. My previous Taurus started to faile round the same welds. I have a friend who is LLoyds certified he told me this would happen just by looking at the weld. The term is cold overlap. it's when the two component parts are not puddled into the weld. You can see a black line on one side of the weld where the crack has migrated from. The weld-rod simply runs over the surface rather than running into the puddle. It's a sort of braze that's occurred. It would be interesting to try to remove the allow sleeve. Having worked in aerospace with titameum I am aware of the very real problems in the manufacturing process. For instance we could not degrease in a carbontet bath. we used detergent as there is a reaction. we welded in a tank of argon rather than TIG gas sleeve. heat treatment was very critical. We also coated titaneum with hot spray zinc where met other metals. bored you all to death now eh?????.

magicmistertea":24856j94 said:
is titaneum the same as titanium ? just wondering :) :LOL:
The Torus in 1994 was made from an IMI alloy that was 3% aluminium.
This presumably made it more workable and perhaps easier to weld.
my forks cracked along a seam to SAD
Any One have more info?

PS do Retro biker shave their legs??????

Welding titanium isn't hard :? its a bit of a pain but only because it needs perfect shielding from air, other than that its very similar to welding steels.

I think there's a shroud of mystery been formed about titanium as not many people us it, it might be that I live in Swansea so have IMI Titanium and a TIMET plant nearby so as a welder I've been exposed to it a bit more than most welders.

Buit for me its quite low down on the scale of difficulty when it comes to welding, infact I'm always happy when I get a titanium job as I know when I get there its going to be a spotlessly clean job :cool: give me that over an inconel riser in an ethylene plant any day of the week :LOL:

Back