Can anyone identify this Mt Bike??? PICS!!!

wrey

Retro Newbie
I picked up this bike today for $5 at the thrift store. I was foaming at the mouth when I saw the old school XT derailers. I am having a heck of a time identifying this bike, Here is what I have:
Steel frame, rear dropouts stamped Ritchey. Tig welded it appears. Serial # appears to be 98715 and under that is what appears to be a date 4*92. 1 1/8 headset. All cables routed on top tube. Odd configuration at the top of the seat tube/seat post binder. I cant read the stickers, but I have tried to take pictures so maybe someone will recognize.

Salsa Bars
XT Headset
XT levers
XT DX or LX Brakes
XT Derailers
XT DX or LX Cranks
Nice Seatpost, looks like Syncros, but I haven’t been able to get it out to make a positive ID
Crappy newer rims
Un-identified stem—(looks like a salsa from the roller mechanism)
Crappy shifters
Mismatched pedals

CIMG6600Medium.jpg

CIMG6602Medium.jpg

CIMG6603Medium.jpg

CIMG6592Medium.jpg

CIMG6589Medium.jpg

CIMG6597Medium.jpg

CIMG6596Medium.jpg

CIMG6604Medium.jpg

CIMG6595Medium.jpg

CIMG6594Medium.jpg

At first glance I thought the sticker said OutRidin as in slang for "Out Riding".

But really can't offer much more that that.

Looks like a nice project though. :D

The post is an IRD...pretty much useless...you should just sen it to me! ;)

Oh, and judging by the random parts smattering and half-filed serial number, it's likely spent at least part of its life as a stolen bike...

rb

I thought things looked suspect when I looked at the serial # too!! Luckily I have a receipt!! :p

The stickers are driving me crazy because I can think of no possible word in the english language that it could be!!

I think the sticker says "KOSTRIKIN" which when typed into google brings up a bike shop:
Kostrikin Cycles
(530) 878-9446
15371 Pear Valley Ln
Auburn, CA 95603

So my theory is they had some frames manufactured with their name on them. Thats all I have so far. I'm gonna call the bike shop tomorrow to see if my theory is correct.

although im sure they had wishbone seatstays, its screams out mongoose iboc to me! maybe its the cable routing..

Thats amazing!
Yeah definately looks like its been hooky at some stage, and definately unloved until now :cry:
What an amazing find for $5, hope the detective works turns up its identity, cant make those stickers out either but wrey looks like he's onto a strong trail :p
Keep us updated with the resto ;)

Here is the Kostrikin midway thru its rebuild. I’m not going to paint it now, but maybe later. I soaked it in Oxalic Acid overnite, cleaned, and am starting reassembly. The XT headset is pretty sweet! The fork is Tange, and I am still using the IRD post and Salsa bars.. I have a nice oldschool 7 speed XT hub with mavic wheel in the picture, the front wheel is just a beater I have laying around. I ditched the roller stem and opted for an oldschool Ritchey Force stem that I had to paint black. I plan to use the XT levers, XT brakes, XT derailers,and some XT thumb shifters I have laying around. It should be a pretty sweet oldschool ride once completed!!!

I still haven’t determined anything sold about the frame. But it is very high quality tubing and very well built.

CIMG6609Medium.jpg

CIMG6606Medium.jpg

CIMG6608Medium.jpg

Back