'92 Kona Lava Dome

tomhollywood

Dirt Disciple
Hello folks,

I'm new here, only found this website a few days ago. So, hello everyone.

Been riding on and off for years and after a recent knee operation the doctor has recommended I do some cycling so I thought what better excuse could there be to re-kindle my affair with Kona bikes!

I have had a '94 Hahanna followed by a '98 Lava Dome. I now sadly own neither and I am stuck with a '04 Saracen Vice which I want rid of. I'd love my '98 back, it was green with beige coloured tyres, azonic bars I think RST mozo pro forks?! I was only 14/15 at the time!

Anyway. I found my dad's old '92 Lava Dome in the garage and thought I would post it up here to see what people think of it. I'll be honest. it's been sat there for years and not got used at all. Would it be worth me doing it up?
Excuse the mess that it is in. I will try and get it cleaned up over the next week and post some more pics.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,140
Welcome.

Get to Halfords, get some Muc-Off, clean the bike and then enjoy it ;)

Under all the dust and grease it looks quite tidy!

agreed, a good degrease and polish and lube it will look great.

then give it a good service.

Would it be worth taking the whole thing apart then to give it a good clean?

Also, I never knew much about the shocks that are on it. I presume they are knackered as they don't move! Any advice?

Also (sorry for all the questions) would it be worth upgrading brakes or will this detract from the retro cool! :)

I need some help with the forks/gears please.

I have some project 2’s off my old ’98 Lava Dome, found them last night so want to fit them to this as the current shocks are knackered. Would it be possible to do this. I’m a complete novice at this bike building stuff! I have a leisure lakes nearby, is the safe bet to take it to them?

Gears – Is it possible to change my thumb shifters (deore LX I think) to some rapid fire ones and then change the cables. Is it that simple?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge!

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I used some of that muck off like a few posters suggested and it has worked a treat, thanks. J

tomhollywood":3e8m23nt said:
I have some project 2’s off my old ’98 Lava Dome, found them last night so want to fit them to this as the current shocks are knackered. Would it be possible to do this. I’m a complete novice at this bike building stuff! I have a leisure lakes nearby, is the safe bet to take it to them?
Gears – Is it possible to change my thumb shifters (deore LX I think) to some rapid fire ones and then change the cables. Is it that simple?
I imagine that the Shockblades can't be repaired as you can't get replacement elastomers.

The easiest fix would be if your dad still has the original 1992 Project 2 that came with the bike. If that is lost then you could use the 98 P2, but it isn't totally simple, as it has an ahead steerer so you might need to replace the threaded headset and the quill stem with ahead items.

Another option would be to convert the 98 P2 to threaded. You don't say what size it is, but it looks from the photos as though the bike may be a size 16 with an 11cm head tube? In which case for a threaded fork it needs a c14cm steerer tube. As the 98 P2 has a steel steerer, it will take a thread, so it would just be a matter of getting a decent bike shop to cut the ahead steerer down to 14cm and cut a thread in it.

Whether Leisure Lakes is the kind of place to take it, I wouldn't know. I would think a small independent with a competent proprietor would be cheaper and do better work.

I should say that the 98 P2 is slightly longer than a 92 P2, so not a perfect match, but TBH you'd hardly notice it and you just want to get going. I think threading the 98 P2 may be the best option, and cheaper than replacing the headset and stem (unless of course the headset is shot anyway, in which case that changes the equation).

You should be able to replace the thumbies with 7-speed Rapidfire. Others will disagree with your move though - which is a good thing as you can sell the thumbies to them on this website. You can still buy the superb STX Rapidfire from Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38698 And as you say, why not replace the cables while you're about it?

If you have no tools, you'll need allen keys and a cable cutter to do the job. The cable cutter isn't cheap but it is essential. You will also need spray lube and a flat screwdriver to remove the grips, so you can take the shifters off the bars. And borrow somebody's hairspray while she's not looking to glue the grips back on again. The STX should come with instructions about how to set them up with the front and rear mechs. It isn't a doddle, but it isn't difficult either, so if you've got any enthusiasm for doing it, just go for it.

If you would be interested in selling the DX thumbshifters I would be very interested

Cheers

Dave

Anthony":2gwqcrec said:
tomhollywood":2gwqcrec said:
I imagine that the Shockblades can't be repaired as you can't get replacement elastomers.

The easiest fix would be if your dad still has the original 1992 Project 2 that came with the bike. If that is lost then you could use the 98 P2, but it isn't totally simple, as it has an ahead steerer so you might need to replace the threaded headset and the quill stem with ahead items.

Another option would be to convert the 98 P2 to threaded. You don't say what size it is, but it looks from the photos as though the bike may be a size 16 with an 11cm head tube? In which case for a threaded fork it needs a c14cm steerer tube. As the 98 P2 has a steel steerer, it will take a thread, so it would just be a matter of getting a decent bike shop to cut the ahead steerer down to 14cm and cut a thread in it.

Whether Leisure Lakes is the kind of place to take it, I wouldn't know. I would think a small independent with a competent proprietor would be cheaper and do better work.

I should say that the 98 P2 is slightly longer than a 92 P2, so not a perfect match, but TBH you'd hardly notice it and you just want to get going. I think threading the 98 P2 may be the best option, and cheaper than replacing the headset and stem (unless of course the headset is shot anyway, in which case that changes the equation).

You should be able to replace the thumbies with 7-speed Rapidfire. Others will disagree with your move though - which is a good thing as you can sell the thumbies to them on this website. You can still buy the superb STX Rapidfire from Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38698 And as you say, why not replace the cables while you're about it?

If you have no tools, you'll need allen keys and a cable cutter to do the job. The cable cutter isn't cheap but it is essential. You will also need spray lube and a flat screwdriver to remove the grips, so you can take the shifters off the bars. And borrow somebody's hairspray while she's not looking to glue the grips back on again. The STX should come with instructions about how to set them up with the front and rear mechs. It isn't a doddle, but it isn't difficult either, so if you've got any enthusiasm for doing it, just go for it.

Thanks for the great advice Anthony.
I spoke to leisure lakes and they have said to bring it in so they can have a nosey. The forks are my main worry at the minute.
(I have a bit of a limited budget as i'm trying to save for a trip to Vegas for my friends 30th!)
So if they can fit the project 2's then i'm happy to have a crack at trying to fit some new brakes, gears and related cables. If the P2's don't fit then i'll be a bit worried as the shockblades are done for I think which leaves me with plenty of parts but at not so cheap way to get it all working together!

davegt":208hr7ju said:
If you would be interested in selling the DX thumbshifters I would be very interested

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Once I found out what the craic is then i'll be sure to let you know either way.

Tom.

Back