New (not very retro) bike - guess price and weight

commencal stiffness

"Out of interest, was your 2005 the original frame with the very "tall" (almost flat) oblong chainstays? It was quite a lot stiffer than the NUTS5 more recent model like mine with more conventionnally shaped chainstays."

I had look at bike last night as mate was at the pub and he uses it mainly as a road bike - no chainstays are similar to what I can see on your pics -though they were assymetrical with drive stay being much larger. I always thought stiffness was down to the seat stays - ie that big forged? crown on them.

Anyways to stiff for me. Great colour and spec. new Commencals used to be bargains at the price not so sure they are now.

I've got a spare mech hanger hanging around if you are interested £10?

andrewl":3ze4tes7 said:
I expect to see some ride shots now with some dirt on it ;)

2i2a2vc.jpg

Re: commencal stiffness

bobgarrod":17yxpbnw said:
I had look at bike last night as mate was at the pub and he uses it mainly as a road bike - no chainstays are similar to what I can see on your pics -though they were assymetrical with drive stay being much larger. I always thought stiffness was down to the seat stays - ie that big forged? crown on them.

Anyways to stiff for me. Great colour and spec. new Commencals used to be bargains at the price not so sure they are now.

I've got a spare mech hanger hanging around if you are interested £10?

Your frame was deffo the old version. The new chainstays do help cushionning the blow but you're right, the seatstays are inherently stiff.
They have stopped selling upmarket alu HT anyway as they only do carbon, which are incredible valur for money.
I don't thin the rear hanger is compatible, but thanks for the offer.

Just found out that the frame is not a Supernormal as I thought but a NUTS5 Essence or Flame, which is the finest Alu fame that Commencal made. It's a 2007 which happens to be same age as my Rebas, coincidentally. They were selling the frame for 700 euros, which is mad money for something quite humble. My particular frame colour and decals is the frame only version, ie it is in fact very rare compared to the ones built as full bikes, either Flame or Essence. In fact, I have built a retro bike by accident, altough it's gonna need about 10 years to aqcuire that status, by which time carbon frames will be £150 new.

LOL. I am finding it difficult to justify riding the bike ATM. The South Downs are seriously clogged up. I only did 50 miles on the bike and I can't wait to get it through its paces but it's so gluppy.

Thinking of upgrading the post and bars to modern Syncros items to match the stem... Black or white ? Or one of each ?

Back