Saved from the grave but what is it?

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The local rotary club were selling off stuff to raise funds for local charities/organisations in the market square yesterday. As it was near the end of the day they were going to send most of it to the tip, so what do you do? I've got enough crap in the garage already but thinking this would go to the dump would be criminal. Anyway I was offered it for £10 but gave him a couple of purple ones as I know they do a lot of good locally but now I've got it what do I do with it and more to the point what is it?
Frame number on nearside of BB shell is NN, then underneath it 6051N, a measured 124mm rear spread, wrap around seat stays, GB centre pulls & stem, weinmann rims, normandy hubs, 5 speed regina 14-26 oh and there's a Campagnolo Gran Sport rear derailleur which I didn't see until I got it back home.
So what is it?

4375738789_3c5a96da37_b.jpg

4376487684_660bbf06f1.jpg
4375803035_4ddd3b935d.jpg

Could be Raleigh or one of its clones (eg BSA).

They did a range of 'sports' bikes in the '60's with 5 speed Campag GS, steel chainset etc. They had a full wrap-over seat cluster.

I think from the wraparound seatstays that's a Raleigh Blue Streak. It's from the space age! Named after the British ballistic missile project. My dad lusted after one of these.

It was only produced for a couple of years. High tensile steel, no great shakes, and not worth much money. Still, an interesting bit of history.

chris667":glbqouw5 said:
I think from the wraparound seatstays that's a Raleigh Blue Streak. It's from the space age! Named after the British ballistic missile project. My dad lusted after one of these.

It was only produced for a couple of years. High tensile steel, no great shakes, and not worth much money. Still, an interesting bit of history.

And quickly went the way of the real Blue Streak! An unfortunate bit of marketing that didn't quite work out.

I always fancied one as well though! Painted Blue and Silver I think, there was one on display at the last Thurcroft jumble.

Back