Darn! Race Face BB cup thread direction wrong!

Just popped to the CRC website,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=305

Now that clears things up.

RH does not mean Right Hand Side, but Right Hand thread aka Left hand side/none drive side.

LH would be what you need written on it for

Only the Canadians could think of making that one complicated :twisted:

Try one of your dealers
http://raceface.com/dealers-distributors/dealer-search/ to see if you can get it cheaper if needed.

Here's what the matching pair look like (for the one on the left in your picture)
yeti-s-Axe_pedallier_RaceFAce_cera_160gr.jpg

wynne":3melngct said:
I have the same RF taperlock bb and the cups are marked exactly the same as yours and fitted into my bb shell no problem, though they were a little stiff going in due to the thread lock on the cups.

I'm pretty sure RF only made an English threaded version of this so it makes me think there might be something going on with your bb shell.

Rich

nothing to do with the thread lock. are you sure they are marked EXACTLY the same? now knowing what's wrong, the arrows clearly indicate which way it should thread into the frame BB shell. they should be OPPOSITE directions as RH is Right Hand thread for the non-drive and LH should be Left Hand thread for the drive side. it is confusing as i thought RH on the one cup meant Right Hand side of the BB when i first got it, but clearly it is NOT the case.

as people have stated, it looks to be two different cup revisions of the non drive Right Hand thread i've been given.

and as stated, both cups thread into the non-drive side. as well i tried TWO other BBs to be sure it wasn't a bb shell threading issue. a Shimano UN72 and a MRC Ti BB and both work fine. both weren't the axle lengths needed for the crankset i wanted to use.

seller is giving me grief now as i told him about the issue and given him the picture. he's suggesting i may have swapped the cups as the colour shades are a little off. but that prob stems from his impatience with me due to complaints about the transaction i made prior to finding the issue with the BB. i had brought up the issues to see if he'd be willing to do something for me, but i had not demanded anything. just cuz i complained he's fed up with me. :roll:

FluffyChicken":ehhnue4s said:
Just popped to the CRC website,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=305

Now that clears things up.

RH does not mean Right Hand Side, but Right Hand thread aka Left hand side/none drive side.

LH would be what you need written on it for

Only the Canadians could think of making that one complicated :twisted:

Try one of your dealers
http://raceface.com/dealers-distributors/dealer-search/ to see if you can get it cheaper if needed.

Here's what the matching pair look like (for the one on the left in your picture)
yeti-s-Axe_pedallier_RaceFAce_cera_160gr.jpg

Well they went from labeling "RH" and "LH" to "drive" and "non-drive" I'm guessing. so we aren't that stupid! :roll: :LOL:

Chainreactions price isn't that bad. it's the shipping that's killing it for me. :p

seller is willing to take the item back but only willing to refund me the purchase price and original shipping. will not cover shipping costs back to him which i feel he should be responsible for since the item was misrepresented.

i also have to deal with filing with customs to get my money back that was collected since he marked the item as "merchandise" as opposed to "gift". i know that was the "proper" way to do it but i'm still not pleased with shelling out another $20 unexpectedly.

what should i do?

RockiMtn":2xjwa8n1 said:
seller is willing to take the item back but only willing to refund me the purchase price and original shipping. will not cover shipping costs back to him which i feel he should be responsible for since the item was misrepresented.

i also have to deal with filing with customs to get my money back that was collected since he marked the item as "merchandise" as opposed to "gift". i know that was the "proper" way to do it but i'm still not pleased with shelling out another $20 unexpectedly.

what should i do?

ebay and paypal ? then use that system if misrepresented and he'll not cover shipping cost. I remember someone saying the dispute gets you full costs back though not sure.
Find a cup locally for cheaper instead ?

Get a CRC cup shipped to you next time you buy something of somebody in the UK ? (delivery to us if free)

Frack it, sending this shiat back to the seller and take the hit on the shipping. Not spending any more good money or time trying to fix something that shouldn't have needed fixing! :roll:

Hopefully I can get my money back from the gov't for custom/duty i paid. :evil:

Thanks guys for all your comments and input.

Probably worth the hassle. Taperlocks are really quite good. Rebuildable too. (I posted a thread on here some months back on how to)

Surely RF head office might be able to source new cups for you? They must have a warehouse full of detritus somewhere.

If they have red cups please let me know (I'm down to my last two pairs)

i do want to keep it as it is very VERY nice. but the guy is being an arse so i refuse to let him let him get away with it. paid a premium for the bb, shipping and then on top of that got hit with customs. :evil:

i'm sure i'll snag another in the future since i've been good at sourcing things when i have my heart set on it. maybe not NOS, but if it's in excellent condition and i get it for less, i'm fine with that.

Back