Colnago/Saronni

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Here's what I got last night, in very semi-finished state but you can get an idea (please, no 5 bar gate comments as I will be unable to come up with a suitably witty rtiposte and so may just sulk).

It's a Columbus SLX frame that is badged Saronni (I understand they were effectively budget Colnagos when Saronni wanted to cash in on his Goodwood Worlds success). It's been resprayed (plus a new b/b fitted and mudguard eyelets, very practical) and the condition is fantastic.

Heretically I intend to build it up with Dura Ace 8, although I think that is the last stylish Shimano road group with nods to classic Campag plus I'm going downtube shofters and aero levers for a suitably period feel. The other point is that it uses the stuff off my Merckx (still available and smaller than this beauty, hence my change) so keeps the cost down - it's crying out for Super Record, maybe one day.

Attachments

• Colnago Saronni Rear View.JPG
    Colnago Saronni Rear View.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 4,778
  • Colnago Saronni Front View.JPG
    Colnago Saronni Front View.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 4,778
  • Colnago Saronni Side View.JPG
    Colnago Saronni Side View.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 4,778
Looks very classy Ed. What vintage is the frame? And do you really ride your road bikes with that much post :eek:

Thanks John.

I think that the frame is mid 80s or so although I can't be sure of that.

And yes, I do ride road bikes with that much post! I seem to fit a 60cm on all the fit charts (this one is actually a 61cm) but then need to use a long post to get the saddle at what feels like a good height. Possibly my saddle set up is too high but it feels comfortable, seems to work ok even for long distances and in the mountains and any lower feels sort of strange.

Incidentally I use the same saddle height give or take 0.5cm or so whether on or off road and irrespective of bar height.

the words budget and colnago in one sentance dont go together
however in the 70s and 80s ernesto was aware thar his frames were alittle on the expensive side so he had a couple of sub brands,remember this is before far eastern stuff was 1/2 decent
COLNER andCOLNAGO SPORT WERE "CHEAP" plaingauge tubes and lugs
SARRONI had four versions,slx tubes with colnago lugs was a colnago sarroni slx tubiing with "s" lugs was a saronni girio ditalia built by colnago
also built by colnago was sarroni in aelle tubing plain lugs but sarroni or s on seat stay and dropouts
just to really confuse things later on technotrat made them from plain gauge no brand tubes with plain lugs
i got this info some time since when i had a sarroni in the classic world champ winning red from the archivist at colnago who as you would expect has a fantastic knowledge about the bikes
unfortunatley most of the old records and build sheets were destroyed!!!!! when the factory moved a while ago
i am selling my sarroni frame if any one is interested see the link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1
cheers
tony

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Tony, great extra info and certainly adds to my understanding as well as confirming that mine is an SLX.

Best of luck with your sale - no forks?

sadly no forks but i do have some alloy forks made by vitus that would look stunning a would polish up a treat-though they would need the thread extending down a couple of cm or maybe run them as ahead setup
tony

Back