Cylcle on road? New highway code - sign here..

I feel to incensed by this I've emailed my local Labour MP. Here's the text. I'm sure there are things I've left out... the problem with writing things in a rage... I can't articulate very well! :evil:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I have never contacted my MP before until I felt so incensed by a revision to the Highway Code that I have recently heard about. I understand that the new wording will state that cyclists will be required to “use cycle facilities where possibleâ€

:shock: F**K ME. I work for this outfit. And their doing this to me :twisted:Well i'm not going back to the tube. They say give up the car and save the planet. Then they try to stop us cycling.
Power to the people. If i see him i'll walk over and give him a good kicking :twisted: :evil: :x
Oh and i signed it :D

I have just used this site - very easy....

http://www.writetothem.com

I edited Orange71s letter for myself as it recommends not to make it too long.

It does recommend you do not cut and paste mails as they ignore multiple copy mailings.

my letter....

I have recently heard about a revision to the Highway Code stating that cyclists will be required to “use cycle facilities where possible â€

Result! Just had a letter back from my MP saying he agreed and fully backed our comments.

He said he had objected and won ( I guess he means with all the other cyling lobbyists) to the new entries in the highway code.

They have now been changed to "recommendations" with no legal standing, and state that a rider can use either the designated path or the road.

They are now trying to rush the bill through before the summer recess, which probably means we haven't noticed the new "compulsory helmet with flashing light and wavy flags for every cyclist " entry.

here is the government's response. I wrote to my MP too who gave me a personal reply along the same lines:

Having listened to the concerns of cyclists regarding certain aspects of rules 61 and 63 of the proposed revisions to the Highway Code, we sought views from key stakeholders on proposals for further changes to these rules.

We have now carefully considered stakeholders views and on 15 June laid before Parliament revised versions of rules 61 and 63, as follows:

61 Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

63 Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway. When using a cycle lane, keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Provided that there are no objections in Parliament to the proposed revisions we should be able to publish the new edition of the Highway Code by the end of September. Any delay in issuing the Code would mean delaying the benefits of applying all the improved advice for all road users that it contains, including advice to motorists to be more aware of vulnerable road users such as cyclists.

I ride the pavements, unless I have to ride the road.

The only accidents that happen are me kicking a car that comes too close :shock:

:twisted:

;)

Wow, a real result, my faith is resotred!(briefly)

Now let's all behave responsibly so we can hold our heads high while he annoy the sh*t out of car drivers, oh yes, pass them in the traffic, whilst being greener and tax free to boot. Huzzar! :D

Back