Suspension Front Fork upgrade for a 1993 Cannondale M2000

aeverest

Retro Newbie
I have a Cannondale M2000 with a rigid Pepperoni front fork, it's a great bike, fast etc but with no suspension it gets rough off the smoother trails.

Question, can you get suspension forks these days that will fit a bike like this and is it worth it (cost, ruin ride or ruin lokks of a retro bike!), any recommendations?

I'm assuming that I'll need a minimal travel fork to not muck up the geometry, there's little room for wheel travel under the down tube which means I'm looking at an XC fork?

I have a 1 1/4 headstock but have seen that reducers can be used to bring this down to the regular size of 1 1/8.

btw, If I had the funds I'd love to buy a new full suspention bike and keep this retro bike as it is but do not and hence looking for an upgrade path but don't know about front fork specifications or costs for a decent set.

main.php

Really clean looking 'dale.

I'd keep it as is and get something newer.

If you really want to upgrade pick up some 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" headset reducers, a regular 1 1/8" headset and some short travel forks. Ran this setup on my 1992 'dale for many years with great success.

Any suggestions on short travel forks?

Thanks for ideas so far :D

Any suggestions on short travel forks?

John, how did the change to short travel forks change the feel of the bike?

Originally rode it with a set of manitou 3s. Felt fine, the manitous were hardly any taller than the pepperonis.

Later rode it with some 80mm judys. Again felt ok, maybe a little tall though.

Back