Cylcle on road? New highway code - sign here..

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Some stuff from CTC.....

If you cycle, please take two minutes to read this and sign the e-gov petition - which CTC thinks is well worth doing . Deadline is 16/6.

Your right to ride on the road is in jeopardy.

The revised Highway Code says cyclists should "use cycle facilities where possible". If this Code is approved, cyclists will effectively lose the right to ride on the road where there are alternative routes or adjacent facilities.

The implications of this are too bad to contemplate. First we will suffer more abuse and intimidating driving, as recently suffered by a CTC member. Second, if a cyclist is involved in an accident and tries to claim damages, the insurance companies are likely to argue that the rider contributed to the accident by not using the cycle facility.

The Highway Code has been laid before parliament. It will automatically be approved unless it is referred to a House of Commons Committee which
cannot amend it and can only recommend the whole document be rejected.

It will take an unprecedented amount of adverse publicity to persuade the government to reject the Highway Code in its entirety.

The CTC HQ Campaign team are working hard to find some way of achieving this and will obviously require national support. Meanwhile HQ says it
will do no harm to support the petition which is at

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/

It is interesting to note that 35 MPs objected to the original revised wording. Unfortunately, the replacement wording is no better.

Only 11,000 objections were received to the previous wording. There are over 50, 000 in the CTC alone who should now be objecting.

If this Highway Code is approved by government cyclists will effectively lose the right to ride on the road where there are alternative routes or
adjacent facilities.

If you think it worthwhile, please register your name on the petition and persuade others to do the same.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/

Says a lot about the CTCs membership when less than 11,000 of its 50,000+ members could be arsed to sign up for this when letting it go through could potentially impact a cyclists right to use the roads.

Rubbish.

Cyclists should be able to go wherever they like as long as they are safe and in control and not a danger to other road users/peds.

heathy":1orued1u said:
Just signed up too....still@ only 27.000 :?

This amazes me! Of those 27000 people, I would imagine that a few thousand are not members of the CTC, they'll be people like me who have signed up as a result of sites like this or word of mouth.

If the CTC can't even get 50% of their membership to sign up to something as fundamentally challenging to cyclists rights as this, then how effective are they really at representing cyclists rights?

Time somebody really started pushing for cyclists rights I think. We could start by asking the CTC why they are unable to get the message across to more than half of their membership. :evil:

I am not usually too fussed about lobbying and stuff, as I think most of the time decisions are already made and its a done deal.
Still, apathy will help no one.

And if this does happen, it just makes cyclists potentially liable for any accident involved with.
Cycle routes are fine for mom and dad or granny and her hovis loaf, but mostly they are a joke for actually cycling on, and more dangerous than the road.

:twisted:

gump":19bytc3c said:
...and more dangerous than the road.

Considering the amount of cycling I have done in my life, I'm lucky in that I've only ever been hit by a car once. I was broadsided with enough force to bend my right crankarm under my bottom bracket and throw me a few metres in front of my bike, scraping up my back and fracturing a rib or two, where did this happen?..... On a F*****g designated cycle lane! I will not, ever, never use them if I think that it is safer for both myself (and peds) if use the road.

Ther aren't many cycle lanes I use as they don't let you go at the speeds you need to go at when commuting - too many wandering pedestrians, lamp posts, dogs, drainholes, trees etc etc. Just not safe. As you say - fine if you're pootling, but not for the fairly fit cyclist.

Back