My first MTB - Kona Hei Hei 19" *UPDATED 6/4*

CW

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hello

Just wanted to post a preview pic of my very first mountainbike.

mtbyaah.jpg

A Kona Hei Hei 19". Dont know if it's 94/95 or if I'm totally off

Mounted with XTR m95x, XTR m950 hubs on Mavic SUP, Fox Vanilla fork, Titec titanium stem, X-Lite titanium bar, Syncros seatpost, Chris headset.

Still needs some adjustments and missing bits. I will post better pictures and specs whenever it's done.

Cheers

CW

It's a 94-96 frame and the surviving decals are 1994. It probably had a Race Light decal at the rear of the top tube originally, as in Gil_M's excellent Explosif set below. I think the 94 Hei Hei had another Race Light sticker at the bottom of the seat tube and the Kona ti sticker shown below. I don't know whether Gil has a 1994 Hei Hei set, but it wouldn't surprise me as decals are so often lost from ti frames. Note that the bike in the 94 catalogue had the standard Kona top tube shape, unlike the bikes actually built for 1994!

I understand the reasoning behind the ti stem and bars, but as the fork is longer than the frame was designed for, you might find that it makes the steering less lively than you would like. In which case, a shorter stem and/or a riser bar with sweep would speed things up again.

Attachments

• 1994 Explosif Gil M decal set.jpg
    1994 Explosif Gil M decal set.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5,748
  • 1994 Hei Hei catalogue.jpg
    1994 Hei Hei catalogue.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 5,748
wow, this is your FIRST mountain bike you've owned? definitely nice way to start your collection! ;)

did you just get it, or have you had it since new and you doing a refresh on it?

Lovely...but why does everyone on here seem to have a Hei Hei except me?! Grrrrr :evil:

RockiMtn":27at5eiz said:
wow, this is your FIRST mountain bike you've owned? definitely nice way to start your collection! ;)

did you just get it, or have you had it since new and you doing a refresh on it?

Thanks alot. This is my very first MTB ever. I've been a roadbike junkie, but i need to be able to go into the woods as well - and well i am definately a sucker for good gear (like everybody else i guess).

The guy it was bought from was the very first owner. The frame was stripped, and then it was rebuilt for me with different parts.

Anthony: Thanks for the steering tips. I'll try it and see if i have to tweak it. Maybe lowering the fork a bit could be an option as well.

Lenni: Cheers! Altid hyggeligt med en dansk fella ;)

That's a really nice bike and very similar to my own.

There's somehting very timeless about the Hei Hei....looks great with old or new XTR and rides really welll wit modern forks.

I've got some floats on mine which have been reduced travel wise to 80mm which is more in keeping with what it was designed for...could be worth doing.

Look forward to seeing this one finished

Back