1994 Merlin Titanium

i think i've found the winner! :D

normally i won't touch coloured crank arms as i fear them becoming ugly with scratches and wearing. but these NOS pewter/gunmetal RF turbines i just couldn't resist picking up. probably paid too much for these, but they did come with a nice set of NOS Crank-o-matics as well!

will either use the other set of RFs to donate it's rings or perhaps go with a new set of matching pewter/gunmetal triple Pro chainrings from Canadian Blackspire company.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.JPG
    IMG_2659.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 2,215
  • Pro2.jpg
    Pro2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,215
  • IMG_2642.JPG
    IMG_2642.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,215
That spline pattern on the ring looks like it'll fit an old M950 crank arm, correct me if I'm wrong. Wherechu find that picture?

I have used Blackspire rings, very good quality indeed.

finally got a temporary fork sorted out to work how i want it to. thanks to mechagouki for supplying a spare Manitou crown and a long 1" steerer for what i wanted to do. only issue was the 1" steerer had a part of a quill stem stuck in it. took quite a bit of work but managed to get it out and salvage enough steerer length to use my RF Ti ahead stem.

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,101
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,101
  • IMG_2738.JPG
    IMG_2738.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,101
was hoping for about 7" of steerer but i just couldn't bang out the quill even after soaking it with penetrating oil overnight as there was just too much stuck in there. so i decided to cut off the threaded section with a hacksaw, which was about 1.5" or so. even with that cut off, there was still quite a bit of quill left in it, but i managed to bang that out.

but when i re-assembled the fork i realized i ended up with about 6.5" of steerer. luckily it was enough, but it would have been nice to have raised the stem a tad higher, as it has no rise and the bars seem a bit low for comfort. :oops:

we'll see how it goes. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,099
  • IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,099
What size is your Merlin ? 15" I think ;-)
If you don't use the marin stem, contact me ! :LOL:

Yep, size is a 15"

still holding on to the Ti quill stem as backup. but once i know it's not needed, i will indeed pass it on. ;)

Back