KONA HEI HEI WITH SPECIAL X LITE TI FORKS

I'll second what Treacle said about the ride... it is very odd; kinda stiff but compliant at the same time. It is also stupid light.

It really does need new stems though, especially as they are only held on with two grub screws each IIRC :shock:

would it not be possible to use two identical ahead stems???

i'm assuming the two fork legs go through the crown and the current stems are attached to that?

Yes this would be an easy solution, but I have a feeling the fork legs are not 1 inch 1/8... will find out.

treacle":15tojo9d said:
kona heihei frame - any idea of year anyone - 95???

Going by the extended seat tube & 'jungle' decals it looks to be a 1997 / 98 frame. Anthony will know for sure.

The forks are :cool: and definitely worth getting new CNC stems, the purist in me would like to see them reunited with a RSP Ti frame though ;)

Dave.

Hi Caramba

Thanks for the date estimate. Not sure the frame is that late, as I think (but can't remember exactly!) that newer stickers may have been put on the frame... apart from the headtube maybe.... not sure... lets hope Anthony can shed some light!

Cheers

A few days ago, you were posting into another Hei Hei thread, so I left the following message there:

Treacle
I don't know what year your frame is. The cable routing indicates 96 or earlier. The seat tube extension indicates either 97 or later or else 93 or earlier. From 94 to 96 they had a short seat tube extension, but I have seen one 96 Hei Hei with a longer extension, so it's possible that they anticipated the 1997 design change part way through the 96 year. In which case your frame could be a 96, but otherwise it's pre-94. In any case, the 97 decals are clearly not original. If you want to tie down the year, please supply the serial number and accurate mm measures of the seat tube c-t, the top tube c-c and the head tube, and I expect we could tell from that.

Anthony":eld145nf said:
The cable routing indicates 96 or earlier

DOH! I missed that! :roll:

In which case Treacle your frame is a '93 the same as my Project Unicorn & the first year to use 'bullet' style rear droputs.

pete_mcc":2oq5g0ll said:
I do like that - there was a guy in a bike shop that I worked in years ago with that very set up. weighed nothing at all

Was that the Fleet Street branch of Action Bikes in London, Circa 1997? I was thinking the very same thing. I worked there then and can't rememebr the guy's name. It was the very same set up - even the foam grips were the same.

Did you buy this bike complete or build it yourslef?

Back