Early SID question

Sheffield

Retro Guru
Anybody know what I need to do to get them blown up again?

I think they are 98\99. I don't see any obvious way of getting air into them.

sid

if they are 98 sids you'll find a small cross head screw on both the top caps. you need to unscrew them (don't lose the little rubber seal underneath them) and use a needle pump (like the one you use to pump up footballs) to change the pressure. when done replace the screws, check the sag and go ride.

Make sure you lube the needle first [bit of spit usually does the trick ;) ] as the [old] rubber seal in the forks that you need to push thru can be troublesome..

worth knowing

i've got a set of old 98 sids (the first ones) and never really trusted the needle valve/rubber bit as the first ones died in less than a month. recently discovered that you can swap out the top caps (positive air chamber caps) from 2004 etc SIDs as a replacement for the whole assembly (i got mine from Chainreaction) - heresy to someone after a totally accurate build but worth knowing when parts get scarce...oh you can also swap the lower legs on too...

To quote the Angry Asian:

"Absolutely DO NOT use a standard "football needle" as stated in the Rock Shox manual. These types of needles have a hole in both the tip and the side. The hole on the side usually has sharp edges that will tear your air valve and create a leak in the system. Be sure to use a needle that has a hole in the tip ONLY."

And yes - i did kill my original top cap seals on my 98 SIDs with a football needle, suitably lubed. If you can find some - replace the top cap with the later SID ones, with the Schraeder valves in. The thread pitch is not the same from memory, but it was what TF used to do when they had stock of the newer top caps. Last time i contacted them i supposedly managed to get the last 2, but they may get hold of 2nd hand ones i guess.

Back