That's Terrible (One)

beagle

Senior Retro Guru
Sorry, this is about as modern as it gets but thought a few people might be interested. Sort of a restoration, even though the oldest bits are only about a year old. This is my current BMX, it has to take a lot of abuse. The frame was sent custom from Terrible One just over a year ago.

With these I'm usually of the as long as it rolls, I don't care how it looks, sounds or rides school but it was getting beyond a joke. It had been ridden for the last few months with no paint so was covered in nasty orange rust. You could hear it coming from a mile away because every bearing was shot (most of them fell out in bits when I took it apart). Anyway, a sand blast, powder coat and new headset, BB and hub bearings later and it's pretty dialled again and I'm well happy so thought I'd post it up.

Now:

screenshot20100216at115.jpg

Before:

screenshot20100216at115.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't up to much.

looking good there - it's cool to see new rides and how peps feel about them - i ride a GT 06 but would like 08+frame to ride - you can hit them hard and still in one piece, and it show with your ride that you can take it looking in a state and bring it up fresh :cool:

and at least you don't run the risk of tetanus any more :LOL:

Thanks man. I know what you mean, they've just got the strength/weight ratio right over the last few years. If you compare them to the bikes when I started riding, you'll never break a Standard 250 OX Platinum but bunny hopping one is like bench pressing a Ford Transit.

back in the day the Raleigh burner was very heavy at around 28lbs

then they got a bit lighter 26lbs in the 90's

2003 saw heavy again 28lbs like tanks

2006 25lbs

2010 22-24lbs

i guess as we get older, we also take on a bit more weight and so need lighter frames/rides - but a lighter bike can be thrown around more - triple whips + :shock: :roll: :LOL:

but there's nothing like a dialed bike that you feel right with weight and geometry ;)

Nice T1 that..friend has one of the first barcodes and it certainly handled a LOT of abuse, you've done a good restoration on it :D

Coming from someone who rides trails pretty much 90% of the time I'm not keen on the brakeless/pegs thing but that's just what you ride :D

I have a one of 50 scott malyon signature , should really put it back together but it's not exactly the weather for it and it would take up much needed bike shaped space in the house , will probably do the dirtbike first though .

Back