1993 marin bobcat trail.FINITO. now owned by mikef350

brocklanders023":x5o8cd5b said:
Glad it's coming together. :D

cheers.

bottom bracket is going to be a pain but i am going to get my mate to weld a nut onto the cups so we can swing off a big spanner and remove that way (in theory...)

With my bb on my Bobcat it would just not move, then the plastic non-drive side cup shattered allowing my thumb to be pinched between spanner and frame.

So I then used an M8 bolt from an old seat post to hold the bb tool in place. Finally I extended my adjustable spanner by using a couple of jubilee clips to attach a long seatpost (that the M8 bolt came from) to increase the leverage. I'm not sure if the thread on the M8 bolt was the same at the thread in the bottom bracket but with a bit of force it seemed to screw in far enough. Basically I bodged it with a bit of logical thinking and advice from other bike forums.

End result is that it came out nicely. I then hacked at the broken plastic cup with various tools not designed for the job and got that away without damaging the threads.

Lewis

widow71":2n829a4u said:
With my bb on my Bobcat it would just not move, then the plastic non-drive side cup shattered allowing my thumb to be pinched between spanner and frame.

So I then used an M8 bolt from an old seat post to hold the bb tool in place. Finally I extended my adjustable spanner by using a couple of jubilee clips to attach a long seatpost (that the M8 bolt came from) to increase the leverage. I'm not sure if the thread on the M8 bolt was the same at the thread in the bottom bracket but with a bit of force it seemed to screw in far enough. Basically I bodged it with a bit of logical thinking and advice from other bike forums.

End result is that it came out nicely. I then hacked at the broken plastic cup with various tools not designed for the job and got that away without damaging the threads.

Lewis

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ended up resorting to heat on the bottom bracket. the cups were made out of monkey metal and just melted away. sadly the heat did damage the paint and also the threads were knackered anyway.

to sort it i bought a threadless bottom bracket

it screws into itself rather than remling on the frame and seems a sensible solution to the problem if you ask me. time will tell if it is a long term solution though.

anyway. this was the final piece of the puzzle and all that was left to do was build it up.

cheers to longun for the karma seatpost.

2n69h6t.jpg

2zo9282.jpg

Back