Carbon Titec (Xwing)? setapost clamp troubles...

SSBonty

Devout Dirtbag
Hi - has anyone got a picture of a carbon Titec seatpost rail clamp assembly? I bought this with a frame, and the clamp bits and bolts were in a bag seperately, and I can't work out how it goes! I think it's the X-Wing model but could be wong. It came with a 97 Merlin ti frame and is probably of a similar vintage - it could also be the model they called the C191 but I'm not sure. There are two bolts, two clamp pieces, and two further threaded internally bits that are either shaped 'nuts' or some sort of spacer. The post has a threaded hole in the bonded aluminium clamp bit directly over the centre of the carbon post, and a second unthreaded hole at the rear. I can't work out which bits go where to tighten it all together! Any ideas?!

Ian

That sounds like the clamp on my Bontrager/Titec post from 93.

It's hard to explain but there are two bolts, one has a knurled head and is adgusted with the fingers, this bolt goes through the cradles and screws into the hole in the top of the seatpost, and the other has a bolt which goes through the cradles and threads into an aluminium bit with a T-shape.

Takes ages to set up because you set the angle and then tighten it all down, find the angle is wrong, loosen it off so you can twist the knurled bolt with your finger, tighten it up again to find it's still wrong and go back to step one.

I've also had the head twist on mine but araldite has fixed it - not bad for a post from 93 that is still in use.

If it is like my one then if you really can't stand it I could either take it off your hands (27.0 or 27.2), or if you want me to I could take some pics to explain better.

Hi - photos would be superb! I suspect that I've got too many of some parts and not enough of the correct ones - there are two complete sets of clamps with the post, two knurled bolts, and two of the threaded 'T' shaped nuts, so I've been trying to put these all together! So it should be just the knurled bolt through the clamp and into the centre of the post, and then a different bolt (the knurled one doesn't fit well in the rear hole) through the bottom of the back of the post head and into a T-shaped nut? Guess I'm missing this last bolt then, is it just a simple allen bolt? Any idea on size/length? maybe I'll look in my spares box tonight to see if anything fits, but if you could do photos and either do a link to them, post them here, or email me (iancorfe AT hotmail DOT com) that would be ace!

ian

Messiah - hold the pics, I think I've sorted it! Was attempting to use two knurled bolts and two T pieces as that was what I had, and it obviously didn't work. Now with one of each and the addition of an allen bolt, it all seems good to go. Thanks for the advice, it's been bugging me for ages!

Ian

Back