The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

That's the one - Alain's. Jaw dropping :shock: :cool: and one I'd really like to have even though it's not aluminum and not painted in a flashy paint like the bikes I'm used to. :D

Have to admit to having a soft spot for the STS. And GT in general.

Here's a picture of one of mine. A 1997 STS-1, this is how it was originally built.

main.php

This is how it was built just before it was sold in around 1999.

main.php

The carbon framed LTS was indeed called the LTS carbon for 1996. Here's a (cracked) frame I was given and used during my final year degree project.

main.php

The frame was rideable. Ended up giving it to another RB member in 97 or 98. He flogged it very soon after.

If I ever feel the need for another retro full susser I suspect it might well be a STS. Or SAB :LOL:

stevetait":1gy1sgx7 said:
Need some new little washers but they are just these little beauts in the cable stops:

DSC03874.jpg

Steve very similar to my own solution on my STS Lobo

CIMG2982.jpg

Used a Dremel to square the guides off so a tight flush fit could be achieved for the Hope guides. I was absolutely crapping myself doing this :) but it came off really well. This photo also shows the original decals and just how brittle and easy to flake they become over time :(

John thanks for the confirmation about the '96 LTS Carbon found some better pics of this early model frame and it clearly shows the Titanium linkage used as per the LTS-1. Does anyone know what the original spec was of this bike, group set, etc. More importantly anyone got one of these?

img_1579818_962337_0.jpg

img_1579818_962337_2.jpg

img_1579818_962337_3.jpg

Is that rear triangle from before they did the cnc machining?
It seems to be missing the X shaped chainstay brace by the bottom bracket pivot and some fancy bits by the drop outs.

My LTS has these and you'd think an STS would too...? :?

Think the fancy CNC work on the rear stay was introduced on some LTS models in '97 and was definitely present on the '97 STS-DH. Here's a pic I found of a '96 LTS frame and the rear appears to be exactly the same as on the '96 LTS Carbon

1996 LTS
LTS-1.jpg

My old 1997 STS-DH - you can clearly see the X Brace CNC work behind the main lower pivot.
cimg1494_737.jpg

1997 LTS-DH same machining as the STS above

GT--FMMS-LTS-DH.jpg

On my 1998 LTS-DS refurb (not 100% sure on the year/model though) although the rear shock had developed into being trunion mounted the chainstays appear to be exactly the same as that found on the 1996 models. But I know that the 1998 LTS-DS 1000 definitely had the CNC work present - Strange ????

Would love :cool: to see that 1996 LTS Carbon in it's original build. Anyone got any magazine scans available :?:

Back