John Tomac, not only an iconic rider

I think the story goes he was also competing in some road races at the time and his trainer advised him that he would be in better condition if he adopted the same position on all his bikes.
I believe he has since admitted it was a pretty awful idea...

Can see the logic behind it Steve but not sure it works - we'll see.....

What i meant was i hadn't seen Tomac on a Raleigh with drops. We all know about his famous Yeti C-26 with drops 'et al'

Never met JT but I agree with Repack's comments. Although Ringlatron is entitled to his opinion (as are we all!).

I have briefly met:
Ayrton Senna, Ian Botham & Jethro.
Viv Richards used to live a couple of doors down (when he played for Somerset).

One thing that I find is that all famous people are ultimately just people who are famous. And are therefore just as prone to bouts of selfishness and being a tw*t as we all are. I would take JT's career acheivments at face value and be done with it.

Apparently Adolf Hitler was quite a personable bloke and liked animals. So there! :LOL:

Stick Legs":vj8xcp4b said:
Apparently Adolf Hitler was quite a personable bloke and liked animals. So there! :LOL:

Ekk, there's something deffo not right about that comment!

It was pretty amasing about the JT marketing machine, pretty soon after the 90 Worlds, a whole spate of MTB's started using drop bars on their MTB's, sod that for a game of soldiers going downhill at 50mph!!! :shock:

Rich":3lu5h4hb said:
Stick Legs":3lu5h4hb said:

Ekk, there's something deffo not right about that comment!

Sorry if that comment offended anyone, I was merely trying to illustrate the mistake of looking at someones acheivements and then assuming that their personality will match. A great rider could be a really not nice person and vice versa. ;)

MadCowKev":rd4heot0 said:
Found this picture on a US site yesterday of Tomac riding a Raleigh with drop bars - something I'd never seen or knew happended!
The downhill courses were not as technical and we were more interested in aerodynamics and speed. John Tomac would show up at the races with new equipment all the time, skin suits, fullface helmets, Tiogo disc wheels just to name a few. I was impressed with his total pro attitude and he backed it up by winning alot of races. He has done alot for our sport to put it on the map and he certainly has other things to do besides entertaining us all the time but he did a great job at that as well.

Jacqui Phelan[hope that is spelt right-Repack Rider?] i think always rode drops on her Mtb; certainly did when we met her at Man v Horse. I think she probably still does.

Now that it's done, I figure this is as good a place as any to share it.

IMG_4267.jpg

justbackdated":2jsgd2ol said:
Jacqui Phelan[hope that is spelt right-Repack Rider?] i think always rode drops on her Mtb; certainly did when we met her at Man v Horse. I think she probably still does.

Jacquie still does.

Drops are surprisingly comfortable off road.

Back