Spooky Metal Head

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
Another Spooky in my stable. This one came to me as a frame and headset only for very cheap as it has some cosmetic blemishes. I have never owned a dirt jumping bike let alone ridden a dj track. Oh well. It's a Spooky and I am obsessed, so I bought it. I figured with my Supertouch having so many shiny red parts on it I better not leave it on the street, so this has taken over as my commuter.

Spooky was mainly known for it's dirt jumping bikes and was one of the first to offer a bike built burly enough to not blow up when you had to bail while 20 feet in the air. The front end has a few extra pieces of aluminum welded to it, and the chainstay yoke is strong enough to pull an ox. The drop outs are extra long horizontal jobbies that have some nice cnc parts holding the wheel in place. There is also a der. hanger part to switch in if you want to run some gears, very well thought out. It isn't easy to get the rear wheel out though without taking the bolts all the way off the rear wheel. This frame was most likely made by Frank The Welder but I don't know what year it is exactly. It has a super stiff ride that inspires confidence when standing and pedaling hard. It makes me want to throw a smaller chainring on and hit up some jumps. It's pretty much an extremely well thought out, versatile, 26" wheeled bmx bike.

I am commuting on this so I found the longest post I could and put it to it's limit. Probably not so smart to ride on this every day but it'll work for now. My knees don't straighten as much as they should but It's been 6 months and my legs don't hurt anywhere, so I will keep riding it on the street. I had a Halson Inversion PDS on it for a while during warmer weather but have since switched to a Vicious Cycles rigid fork for the Winter. I didn't want to kill the elastomers to much by freezing them, as I want to use the Halson again when it is warmer out. I also just picked up an old Manitou EFC fork that I might source some springs for and throw on there. I've really enjoyed riding this bike hard through the streets of NYC. Having the Vicious fork on there makes the steering precision so pin point that I have to remember to not oversteer at all. The mix mash of parts includes some interesting parts bin stuff. The front of an old Mavic Crossland wheelset that I have, 90mm nos Kore Elite stem, Shimano carbon brake booster (I have a pair of these), XTR m900 172.5mm cranks. And now some specs and photos for your viewing pleasure. Excuse the street grime, I took these photos while at work.

Frame: Spooky Metal Head - size long

Fork: Vicious Cycles steel (alternatives include Manitou EFC and Halson Inversion PDS)

Headset: Cane Creek S6
Stem: Kore Elite
Handlebar: steel jobby off a Bianchi Milano cuiser
Grips: Bianchi Milano cruiser grips, yeaaah

Brakes: XTR v's
Brake Pads: XTR
Brake Levers: Avid Mag

Freewheel: White Industries 18t
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: XTR m900 172.5mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainring: Sugino 48t
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: UN-72
Pedals: cage style pos

Hub Skewers: Pin Head locking front, bolt on rear
Rims: Mavic Crossland front, X138 rear
Hubs: Crossland front, Paul Word rear
Tyres: Specialized Hemisphere EX

Saddle: Coda
Seatpost: Race Face (like an XY but newer)
Seatpost Binder: Salsa

4345824645_3c9b110603_b.jpg

4346569710_df141d35c1.jpg
4346568604_41291e2e1d.jpg

4346570650_cac53e66aa.jpg
4345828505_490430d304.jpg

Custom made top caps from my local shop. The owner is a vintage mtb collector.
4346571740_eee33ddfab.jpg

Quite like that , but it's the most amount of stem spacers I've ever seen in one place at one time :LOL:

Brake booster is nice .

Didn't know how long this fork was going to live on the Metal Head so I didn't cut the steerer. It might end up on the Darkside if I want to run it rigid. Maybe I'll get a black Eno disc wheel made up and run it rigid and single.

Really like these, friend had one a while back and it used to take loads of abuse (front ending doubles etc down the trails!)

Only thing I'm not sure on is the fork, just seems a tad too skinny for a frame like that. Orange coloured fork would look ace on that, maybe some old marzocchis?

Neil: An old Z1 would be great on here. The Vicious is just a wet weather commuter fork. I only have elastomer forks to use as back ups and don't want them getting ruined in the extreme cold of winter. You have an old Z1 you want to get rid of? :LOL: :roll:

Nah, that's definately the fork for that bike though!

Know where your coming form with elastomers...might as well ride rigids if it's cold!

nice :cool: :cool: ill try and dig a pic of mine out with z1 bams on. mine was red/black tho. another i wish id never sold!

Is that the Highline there in the middle-ground of the first pic? My guess is high 20s low 30s on the west side... I used to climb up there and bomb graffiti all over that awesome structure, some of my best artwork was destroyed during the parkification they did over the last few years.

Great looking bike you've got there. Agreed on the orange Bams; you could go all out Mets colors (that is if your a gluten for baseball fan punishment like me). :LOL:

Back