Bolton and the area

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Does Bolton come into the NWA jurisdiction? I have a race near Bolton and will have the wife and bairn in tow, is there anywhere in the area worth visisting? Probably making a long weekend of it. All ideas welcome :D

Race registration is at Leigh and the race finishes in Bolton town centre.

Rivington isn't far away to the west. Venue of the 2002 Commonwealth games mountain bike course no less.
It's not somewhere I'm familiar with though even though it's fairly close to me. :oops:

Tell us more about this race...?

The race is IMUK in August. The swim was at Rivington last year I think, this year its at Pennington flash. We normally spend a bit of time in the places making a week or weekend of it, so it doesn't need to be too near any of venues, rurals an easier sell as well. As long as I can get to the start and registration easy enough. :D

kaiser":3qy4hrpl said:
The race is IMUK in August. The swim was at Rivington last year I think, this year its at Pennington flash. We normally spend a bit of time in the places making a week or weekend of it, so it doesn't need to be too near any of venues, rurals an easier sell as well. As long as I can get to the start and registration easy enough. :D

ooo !! IMUK Swim is OK if you like cold water, bike course had a few lumps last year, you hardly get chance to warm up before the first hill that caught a few people out last year, wrong gears on the bike it was good fun to watch people fall off going up hill last year, the run is good not to hilly bit of a gental plod, the finish is in the middle of Bolton shoping centre. What time are you looking for Tourist time or sub 12 hour ? I know a few people stay at the travelodge in Darwen, it was full of tri geeks last year. I stayed at my Pairents house last year, as it was just off the course and a 20min drive from the start. The parking was crap last year. Will you be getting the m-dot tat as well ? Asfor what else to do in the area, Manchester is good if you want culture, Liverpool is close by and you are only a hour away from the lakes.

pennington flash is only 2 fieldsaway from my house i wouldnt swim in there ive seen whats in the ditches that flow into there

TheGreenRabbit":61pgqczl said:
ooo !! IMUK Swim is OK if you like cold water, bike course had a few lumps last year, you hardly get chance to warm up before the first hill that caught a few people out last year, wrong gears on the bike it was good fun to watch people fall off going up hill last year, the run is good not to hilly bit of a gental plod, the finish is in the middle of Bolton shoping centre. What time are you looking for Tourist time or sub 12 hour ? I know a few people stay at the travelodge in Darwen, it was full of tri geeks last year. I stayed at my Pairents house last year, as it was just off the course and a 20min drive from the start. The parking was crap last year. Will you be getting the m-dot tat as well ? Asfor what else to do in the area, Manchester is good if you want culture, Liverpool is close by and you are only a hour away from the lakes.

Nice one :) cold waters fine, used to it tri'ing in Scotland :) Have heard the bike course is 'rolling' nothing too major. I'm planning a recce sometime in the next few months, been stung before by not researching course profile :oops: Time wise I'm keeping it close to my chest just now :twisted: I've done a 12:45 and a 13:00 but in different circumstances, I've had a 2year hiatus and have less time to train because of a bairn, but I'm feeling stronger on the bike and run in no small part I think to mtb'in more. Originally planning to return to IM next year but hey ho whats the worst that can happen. I think the organisers have taken a few things on board form last year I had heard it wasn't the greatest but IMUK never seems to get good press :roll: I shall still be pondering an IM tat for years to come but just now...no. Lakes could be a go'er :) I take it Bolton isn't up to much?

ps how did you get on?

nobby the sheep":3lqmqbjy said:
pennington flash is only 2 fieldsaway from my house i wouldnt swim in there ive seen whats in the ditches that flow into there

:twisted: fibrous?

Back