Where are all the B.O.B.s!?

Mr. Zero

Senior Retro Guru
I was chatting with Elev12k and it dawned on me that there are very few Bridgestone owners (B.O.B.s) posting to our forum. Seems that the Bridgestone US bikes were never big in Europe. They have quite a strong underground following in the US for their forward-thinking frame geometries while remaining committed to tried, true and somewhat custom kit choices.

I personally own 9 Bridgestones and probably enjoy them more for the bicycle ideal they represent than the actual bikes themselves. I'm curious if there are any other B.O.B.s on the RetroBike forum that might like to share their thoughts on the brand/lifestyle.

In case you're not familiar with Bridgestone US there's a good bit of info at Sheldon Brown's site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/

...and, if you don't know, Grant Peterson who is the former head of Bridgstone US is the man behind Rivendell Bicycle Works which embodies much of the philosophy Grant refined while at Bridgestone: http://www.rivbike.com/

They were very popular in Vancouver at the time. I think when they first came out their geometry and parts mix was spot on for real mountain biking. The MB Zip as everyone called it being particularly lusted after.
But they never changed or evolved. In hindsite not moving from thumbies to "push-push" was frankly correct. However on the shop floor it was the kiss of death.

I've always been big into the Bridgestone's. My son and daughter each have MB-1's that they ride regularly. I have a couple of MB-1's and a MB-0 in storage (still new). My trusty MB-3 (single speed) gets ridden the hell out of almost everyday. When I'm not on the MB-3 I'll be on my other MB-1. They're great riding machines. It's been tough liking another bike after the ride of a Bridgestone. I've kinda went through the rise and fall with Bridgestone. Was sad when they went out. There was nothing better back in the day. Still can't really find anything that rides as well. That's why they'll never be parted with. Don't get me wrong though. I have a 2001 Klein Attitude Race that I could probably ride circles around myself on one of the Bridgestone's. They're my main collection of bikes. Always keeping my eye out for another.

Back