Harry Quinn - Q3521, assumed 1975. First build.

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
For some reason I've got rather an obsession with the framebuilder Harry Quinn, so when I decided to get back into cycling, I went searching for a frame. Half the family area called Quinn, so that helped too. There aren't many 'proper' ones about and the majority that go on sale are either the poor gas-pipe variant that were badged as Harry Quinns from 1980-82, (I've got one of those in the basement) or are refinished frames with Harry Quinn stickers. The last three I've seen go up on eBay have been Raleigh-Carltons with HQ badges.

Bizarrely, longbeech on this forum rescued a frame from a skip. I've done nothing to the frame bar giving it a oil wash and clean. Mercian down the road from me would give it a good refinish for £250, but I kinda want to keep it the way HQ made it, and am hoping the many imperfections on it add patina. I also can't spend that on a new lick of paint...

I've left the bottom bracket in, as it's smooth... it's a Mavic, which might indicate that the thread has gone. I'm not keen on replacing the BB shell, as that's where the frame number is stamped.

Dropouts: Campagnolo.
Rear derailleur: Nuovo Record with ceremic jockey wheels
Front derailleur: Super Record 3-hole
Cranks: Super Record 170mm with Campag rings
Pedals: Nuovo Record, steel cage (Not finding these comfy though... prefer riding in some old Shimano 600s)
Shifters: braze on Super Record
Headset: an alum Campag
Hubs: Record
Rims: Mavic - Monthlery Pro rear, Super Competition Champion front. Both tubs.
Seatpost: Campag aero, marked Brev Campagnolo.
Seatpost binder bolt: Campag.
Brake calipers: either Record or Super Record - not sure which. Again, marked Brev. Campagnolo.
Brake levers: Campag Record, undrilled.
Brake hoods: some cheap ones I've borrowed off a spare brakeset until some affordable gummies come up.
Saddle: chrome-railed Brooks Swallow.
Bars: Cinelli Criterium
Stem: Cinelli XA
Bar tape and top straps are Brooks.

Apologies for poor pics, was in a massive rush and it's rare for me to get it outside in the light.

The red frame is one I've picked up from PistolPedro - it's a 1963 and has at some point in the past been involved in a front-end, and has had the forks replaced. As such the rear triangle sizing is 27" and the front forks are 700c, so I've not been able to get matching brakes. Until some nice Nervex-lugged old forks come up for sale, I'm arranging this as a fixie, as I'll only need to fix up the front brake. This isn't quite finished yet, but it'll be done in a few weeks or so.

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,526
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,526
  • 3-3.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,526
  • 5-2.jpg
    5-2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,526
Rest of pics.

Thanks to everyone that has sold me stuff, or bought stuff from me on here. I know it might seem a bit strange putting all this gear on a skip find, but I think that's how it probably left Walton Road when it was first built.

Attachments

• 4-2.jpg
    4-2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,525
  • red-2.jpg
    red-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,525
Hi JP, both looking good!

if you did decide to re enamel C&G could do it for a lot less than £250, be all original to :D

I've found a couple more since the summer but they've always been to small for me :(

Nice Quinns Blighty. The blue one could just do with a period seatpost and I'll keep my eye open for some original hoods ;) Other than that spot on!

Harry Quinn

Only just discovered this forum and was delighted to discover how much interest there still is in these vintage bikes. Especially interested to see the the Harry Quinn photos and I share the enthusiasm for this marque.

Mine is frame no Q3217 stamped on the bottom bracket and Blightys frame no would seem to confirm my thoughts on the date, C 1975.

I did have it refurbished in centenary colours and it really needs refurbishing again now to be perfect. It was obviously originally a SWB TT frame which I converted for general road use. Frameset is very light and super responsive

edited photo

Attachments

• Beacon View April 06 (Medium).jpg
    Beacon View April 06 (Medium).jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3,437
Nice Quinn!

I found pictures of this one on Campyoldy; I'd love to have the chance to get my hands on one of these - they were made in 1990 to celebrate the centenary. The only other ones made in 1990 I've seen have been in the same colour as yours, and strangely, had a slightly different font on the decals.

This one is in Reynolds 753 with C-Record groupset, and everything seems to be pantographed. Chance would be a fine thing.

Attachments

• bike002.jpg
    bike002.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,423
  • bike004.jpg
    bike004.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 3,423
Back