Orange P7.....needs TLC!

valleyboy

Dirt Disciple
New here so hello everyone! Can't believe I stumbled upon this forum only recently when it has been around for so long. Cracking site, brought back lots of memories.

Anyway, I've got an old P7 that I've had since I was a teenager, bought the frame out of my paper round money and transfered upgraded parts from my previous bike. I bought a Scott Genius MC20 a few years ago and gave the P7 to a mate of mine to "look after" thinking I wouldn't need it again. However, I have since become a dad and the old middle age spread is starting to appear slowly but surely so I thought I'd get the old girl back in shape and turn her into a commuter to keep in shape......so that's the plan. It had a XT levers, mechs and V brakes when we parted company, now got a mish mash of cheaper rubbish on it so if anyone has got some nice XT or XTR bits and bobs to offer, gis a shout.

I,ve attached a pic. Should have taken this from the drive side but the cameras back in it's box now so can't be bothered. Frame number is A3094903, not sure what year this is? Would like to know.

I will post a spec list later, nothing to get excited about at the mo though.

Over and out, VB.

I think we've established with a fair degree of certainty that A3094903 means the frame was built in Sept 93 (A = where it was built, 3 = 1993, 09 = Sept), which in turn means that it's a 94 model. i.e., even though Orange were always a bit more all over the place than the big brands, the P7 was basically new for the 94 model range and the first ones might have been available before Christmas of 93. So they would have built the first P7s if anything before Sept 93, bearing in mind it needed to be painted, have parts hung on it, travel to the other side of the planet and be distributed to South Wales before you could have a chance of buying it. Which all takes time.

Thanks for the info.

OK. Here she is......

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/aberamanboy/?action=view&current=A3094903.jpg

Still not sure how to upload pics directly onto the forum, any tips welcome.

I need help with a few things, bare with me as it's been a loooooong time since I bought this bike and my memory needs refreshing......

Can I use a collar type seatpost clamp or has it got to be bolt through? The frame currently has a titanium bolt that I would like to change to a QR.

Cranks are cook bros, 5 arm. Can I still buy chainrings in this format? Need to replace a huuuuuge middleburn outer ring.

I would like to fit rigid Pace forks, RC29 or similar but the bike has a 1" head tube. Can't remember if anything was/is available? Would like to change to threadless headset at the same time.

I'm interested in getting the frame powder coated, there is a small dent on the underside of the down tube near the bottom bracket and another where a bar end clamp has caught the top tube. How do I repair this prior to powder coat? I am assuming that powder will not take to filler as it is not conductive?

Seat post shim is cracked. Would like to change to a decent carbon/titanium seatpost. Not sure of the diameter, I could bring something home from work to measure it but if anyone knows I'm all ears?

I think the brake levers are 1994 XT, 2 finger jobies. Anyone know if I can get carbon replacement blades for these?

Anybody got an opinion on the carbon bars, seatposts, forks, stems etc. being sold on ebay from Taiwan/China? They are advertised as "same factory as Ritchey parts" etc. What's the crack with this stuff?

I could ramble all day on here so will leave it at that for now.

Cheers,
VB

Nice bike...

(bit of a P7 fan here... I had 3 at one point, now down to 2 and 2 clockworks...)

1" is still 'sourceable' aheadsets and stems are still available if you search. Watch the classifieds here for pace forks, even the 1 1/8 models can be converted to 1"

Re the shim - my earlier P7 is 30.0 shimmed to 26.4, my newer one is 29.6 shimmed to 26.4 (now to 27.2)

Borrow some vernier calipers to check...

I tend to have my frames resprayed at Bob Jacksons... People say powder coat is more durable than enamel paint, but I love the finish, and If you send a frame to Bob Jackson and say 'new paint, close to the old as you can' they will...

Anyway, will be good to see it refurbed & used!!

Thanks for the response.

Sorry but more questions.....

How do I convert the steerer on Pace forks? Are they threaded at both ends? Flanged and bolted? Are replacement steerer tubes easy to get hold of in 1" diameter? Wondering if I can make my own steerer to fit but depends on the complexity of the machined parts.

How much do Bob Jacksons charge for a respray? To be honest, I'll probably have a stab at doing this myself. If it turns out bad I'll send it off somewhere.

I picked the bike up to chuck it in the car today and was astonished at how light it is! Didn't realise my new bike was so heavy. Can't wait to get it sorted and start using it.

A3094903.jpg

nice bike.......

valleyboy":qnlwe0vs said:
Much appreciated!

no probs.

when on photobucket, simply go to the share box........click on the bottom 'img' link, right click, select copy........then paste in a thread.

Back