Rocky Mountain Altitude - 1991?

cdngrimpeur

Old School Hero
Here is my most recent acquisition...not much to see, I spotted another like it on this site, I believe. I know one of you out there is going to like it.
I bought it from a 59 year old Kiwi woman - I can't see her having thrashed it.
I also have the original Syncros stem to install, along with some thumbies and some good old canti brakes. I'm seeking a Syncros fork to put on. The woman's husband said they'd gotten rid of the 'corny first generation shock fork' that it came with - yikes! :(

Attachments

• jsal.jpg
    jsal.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,538
thats lush :)
you wait till gump sees this, he'll be begging you to sell it :LOL: ;)

I've got the original MBA test of that bike too if you need help identifying the original spec :) (no gump I'm not selling the mag either ;)

Outstanding stable there. I think one or more will be making an appearance on a future bike of the month contest.

gump":3s4u2io6 said:
:shock:

dribble

mleh bleh

cdngrimpeur, we gotta talk.. :)

Lovely bike btw.

Easy...easy :D

Scant, thanks, I'd appreciate a copy of that review.

This is a scan of the Altitude in the RMB brochure for 1991.

Attachments

• alti.jpg
    alti.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,476
If you can find some syncros forks (which incidently I heard recently were a reworked copy of the original IRD, which is no bad thing :) then ot would look cool :)
I gotta say tho, the judy DHs on there do look pretty cool :) Are the colours as well matched in real life as they look on my monitor?
syncros stem, bars, gripshift parts should all be easier enough to find if you choose to make it totally original.

:shock: Fab colour schemes back then, Original forks will really make it sweet.
BTW I'm after some 1" treaded syncros myself if anyones got some

I'm having a tough time with the year on this one...it might just be a 1992. That one seems to have come with the Rock Shok. And the colour of the fork is just too perfect a match. There is currently a 92 catalogue listed on eBay.de, and he has a photo of the Altitude for that year in the listing - copper coloured RS fork.

I did buy it with the original Syncros stem, which will go back on.

It has newer V-brakes, too. Yech - grabby non-modulating shite. I have some old Suntour XC cantis from andy's bikes to install - the rear one has the Pedersen Self-Energizing worm gear. Those are good where you can't have the much superior U-brake :D

I have a certain way I like to set my bikes up - XT thumbies with an old XT short cage rear derailleur, GrabOn grips, SS-5 or SS-7 levers, KoolStop brake pads, angled platform pedals with rat traps and straps, Mavic rims...this kit goes from bike to bike. It's just what I like and am used to.

Yeah, I must admit the colour makes me a bit sticky. I've wanted one of these since they came out. If any Britons come to BC this summer, I'll let you try it out ;)

BTW, Canada looks a shoo-in for a mtn bike gold at the Commonwealth games. Woo-hoo! That would more than make up for the poor performance in hockey in Torino.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back