My xtracycle...

Joe

Retro Guru
From my blog at www.gravitykarma.com - I thought you might find this interesting...

So, as you can see, I finally made up my mind and taken the leap into SUB ownership with the Xtracycle rather than the surly big dummy.

As I neglected to mention the other day my lovely Xtracycle arrived from Mark at loadsbetter, a fantastic company, really friendly and helpful when I spoke to him on the phone prior to ordering.

It arrived, with extras in a cardboard box helpfully labeled with re-usage tips complete with a comprehensive instruction manual printed on recycled card. It’s nice to see touches like that, shows the company is actually dedicated to the cause rather than selling a greenwashed product.

First the sub-frame bolts to the back of the bike before mounting brakes and rear mech. I opted for 8 speed for durability (and compatability with the extra chain included in the kit) and a magura HS33 as rear brake for the power and modulation. The magura has the added benefit of being fairly maintenance-free once you’ve finally set it up.

The final parts are the panniers (v-racks) and the snazzy top-deck (snap deck) although as you can see in the photo I decided to add handlebars (very cut-down) so that passengers have something to hang on to!

As soon as it was set-up it was off to the shops to do a large stock-up on tins (organic baked beans!) etc. The local butcher is up quite a long and draggy climb but the SUB performed faultlessly, even with my wife on the back. I used to complain that the B.O.B. trailer’s only faults were it’s tendency to try to wag the bike when heavily loaded and the extra drag of the third wheel. None of that with the S.U.B., even with all the shopping and my wife on the back (loads more load than the B.O.B. could cope with) the ride was pleasant and responsive and SOO much fun. I think it’s the long wheelbase that gives you the confidence to belt down the road at 25mph carrying a body and a half in weight!

It wasn’t just me that enjoyed it so. A few hours later when a trip to the garden center was called for I immediately had a willing passenger volunteer for the 4 mile round trip.

526416018_81825217a2.jpg

I used to say that the move from car to B.O.B. trailer was the best thing I’d done bar getting married, and it was. The move to S.U.B. however outclasses it by far. Shown below with shopping and a “wideloaderâ€

Heh- there's some totally unfeasible loads there.............it amazes me how they manage it- usually far east countries for some reason, too......that's how the US never managed to shut down the Ho Chi Minh trail- they were lookin' for convoys to bomb the crap out of, when in reality it was wee blokes with bikes loaded like this shifting sometimes only 40 tons a day to keep the VC going.

Back