Comfy Bike

martin_b

Retro Guru
Hi All

I could use some advice please.
I'm a 6ft 16 stone retired Prop forward, My current bike is a Raleigh technium (Sp) (ititanium frame.) the problem is i've always had a few back and neck issues from my playing days, and now to add to that i had a quad bypass in Feb. what happens is after about 30mins I get a pain across the top of my back/shoulders, everything just tenses up.

I've tried different stem lengths and bar widths with no luck. so i might try a new frame, I love the old school fames, Klein Yeti Pace etc so can anyone suggest a frame that might be more comfy for me? ( my current top tube length is 58cm ) and I have a look on ebay.

cheers

martin

Hi Martin

I'd say your first step would be to make sure your bike's set up properly for you - the saddle's the right height, it's the right distance from the handlebars, the stem's long enough and the handlebar's wide enough.

I'm a big believer in getting a pro to get the bike set up for you, someone who knows what to look out for especially given your symptoms. I reckon any bike can be comfortable if it's set up correctly.

Where are you based? Someone on here can probably suggest a friendly shop.

Welcome, too!

Well don't go near a Klein. Ultra stiff. Unless you go for a Mantra FS. Other wise sorry i can't help. :( My sympathies and take care

Stem is always a good place to start. Dont be afraid if you look like an old man on his sit-up and beg Puch :shock: . Not everyone can deal with a zero degree stem ;)

Attachments

• old-timey-bike.jpg
    old-timey-bike.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,869
I would deffo recommend a shorter top tube, shortish stem with some rise and riser bars. Even at a touch over 6" I was most comfortable on my Proflex 856 a few years ago with this set-up (got nicked! :evil: ) than anything I've ridden subsequently. I, too, have neck and shoulder probs so I sympathise fully! ;)
Hope you can get sorted! :D

p.s. The effective top tube on my Proflex was approx 54cm. I'd try something in the region of 53 - 55cm.
Hope this helps. :D

To be honest, you'd be better off spending your money on a modern frame with full suspension. Might not be the 'retro' thing to do but its the sensible choice given your problems :)

Back