How the hell am I gona sort this!?!?

wolvotim

Retro Newbie
The head of the bolt that secures my front brake on has sheared off and left the thread in the brake boss.

I was trying to unscrew the bolt to get my brakes off and it didn’t want to come out. I WD40’ed it and tried it again and the head sheared off.

How the hell am I gona get the thread out of the boss??

A few pic's

the thread in the boss

3.jpg

The boss removed from the fork clamps

1.jpg

2.jpg

Isn't the piece with the tiny hole a seperate part out alu? If so, try to take it off and source another stud I would say.

I'd adgree with Elev12k, pace (or some one here) should be able to sort with you a new/used one

or, if you have a pillar drill try drilling out the centre of the bolt the jam/hammer an allen key down it and try to turn, but might not work as it sounds like the bolt has corroded into the boss (this could wreck your boss, but then you might be binning it anyway ;) )

The thread go’s all the way through so I’ll see if I can get a small drill bit into it and hopfully it’ll spin the bolt all the way out the back

Easy.

1- Go to an engineering supplier and buy a set of 'easy-out' or similar thread extractors (look like a cone with a left hand thread).

2- Select a suitable one (2mm should do).

3- Drill a 2.5mm hole as close as possible to the middle of the broken bolt.

4- Wind out threads with the easy-out.

Bob's your uncle, and I promise you will need the easy-out again at some point! :D

It's because he's your mother's sister

;)

It's an English phrase. I think the origin is because an English politician gave his nephew a top job a while back.

Edit: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/70100.html

Another interpretation is that it derives from the supposed nepotism of Lord Salisbury. Piers Brendon, in Eminent Edwardians, 1979, writes:

"... in 1887, Balfour was unexpectedly promoted to the vital front line post of Chief Secretary for Ireland by his uncle Robert, Lord Salisbury."

Various authors have surmised that having an uncle Bob who was Prime Minister became synonymous with having a passport to an easy life.

Kestonian":1s0sgsl8 said:
It's because he's your mother's sister

;)

It's an English phrase. I think the origin is because an English politician gave his nephew a top job a while back.

Edit: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/70100.html

Another interpretation is that it derives from the supposed nepotism of Lord Salisbury. Piers Brendon, in Eminent Edwardians, 1979, writes:

"... in 1887, Balfour was unexpectedly promoted to the vital front line post of Chief Secretary for Ireland by his uncle Robert, Lord Salisbury."

Various authors have surmised that having an uncle Bob who was Prime Minister became synonymous with having a passport to an easy life.
its because he's my mothers sister?! :LOL:

Totally agree with StickLegs - easy-out is the way forward but from past experience they do not work 100% of the time.

The way to look at it is that currently it is knackered, therefore you can try a few things without worrying.
If the easy-out doesn't work just try increasing the drill size and eventually there will be so little of the bolt left that you can 'pick' it out of the threads with a scriber or similar. I did this recently when i had a senior moment and fitted a wrong threaded bolt into an alu fork boss :oops:

If all else fails and you can't find a replacement then speak to 'B3' on this forum and he will make you one.

Don't panic there is always a solution :D

Latest posts

Back