'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
I'm I'm 5'10 and riding a 20" Kona, I've shortened the stem compared to that year to reduce the stretch to my body length.

But it depends on what you like riding, I would have thought a 19" Kona may fit me slightly better fit for serious offroad* but the bikes not being designed for harsh offroad, just jollies and trips to the allotment and probably to commute the 1m to work :LOL:

*but I have my 20" Rocky for that, which is a different fit and much lower front end, these Kona's are ruddy high at the front.

I've bought a shorter 100mm Thomson stem so hopefully that will offset the reach a bit. I also got the Crank Bros headset so thats gonna drop the front end a tad too. If its still too high I have some Easton EC90's I can use.

So basically guys, Im gonna finnish it :) (mad 5 mins over, phew!)

I'll still keep em peeled for a 17" Explosif, or maybe a Hot or a Hei Hei....

I'll post an update shortly with some pics of where Im at so far.

Update with pics! :D (sorry for the rubbish photos)

New 27.0 Thomson post with KCNC yokes and Ti hardware for weight savings :)

bike008.jpg

New Flite Ti Carbon (165g)
:cool:

bike004.jpg

Customised Kona seatpost clamp

bike009.jpg

EC90 bars and CB Directset :cool:

bike011.jpg

New SID lowers (to be resprayed with new customised decals)

sidlowers.jpg

More pics......

bike005m.jpg

bike006.jpg

bike007.jpg

bike002.jpg

(ignore dodgy front wheel :LOL: )

On looking at these pics its not like this is a massive frame. Headtube is a bit long but the CB headset has very very low stack height. I've got he basis of a very nice bike here so I'd be a fool not to complete the project. (I'll eventually got a nicer 17" steel Kona frame and re-do the disk brake conversion. Then swap everything over) I hope to get the forks, front wheel, and frame done very soon. Then she'll be ready to ride!

Got a bit of time on my hands so I decided to remove the brake bosses and seatstay bridge. I figured I didn't need the seatstay bridge as I wasn't using cantis and it was a bit crocked anyway so had to go. I haven't finished it yet as my last hacksaw blade died on me.

Looks much better I think :) Im going to get some hose guides brazed on too. Might even try doing it myself.

bike026.jpg

mikesnowdon":s3p2y1gd said:
Im going to get some hose guides brazed on too. Might even try doing it myself.

I'd be inclined to use silver solder for hose guides rather than braze. It's lower temperature and a bit easier. I've used it for fitting shifter bosses and cable guides.

Do those pics show the seat at your actual riding height? If so it doesn't look that big to me so long as you can put up with the TT length.
:p

Mr Panda":2cc422li said:
Do those pics show the seat at your actual riding height? If so it doesn't look that big to me so long as you can put up with the TT length.
:p

No, It'll probably be about an inch lower in actual use. I've got a fairly short (100mm) stem so hopefully the effective TT length isn't too long. I've sat on the bike and it fells OK.

Got my new fork lowers on.

SID SL lowers
bike028.jpg

They look so nice I don't feel like re-spraying them as I had planned to. Trouble is I cat see them going well with a white frame with blue decals. As I've already got the decals I'm stuck there. I cant think of an alternate frame colour that would suit. Red could look good and maybe I can get the shade matched to the old 96 Cindercone.

Original 96 Cindercone
rednotdead2.jpg

Or this colour (below) might look cool with the red forks and gold bits...

94/95 Cindercone
frame_2_281.jpg

I'm liking the grey/gunmetal colour at the moment. I think with the gold anodising on the brakes and other bits and bobs that will look quite nice. And the red forks should look nice on that colour frame too.

I've got a few too many colours gong on though. Red forks. Lots of gold anodising. Blue on the pedals. A couple of bits are red anodised too. On top of that I have Salsa 'rasta' skewers! I'll probably change the skewers anyway. And I need to loose one more colour I think. Its one of those things where its almost impossible to tell until its all done and fully built. Then I can see how the colour detailing is working out.

Here is a pic of that grey cinder cone fully built up

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17153 (scroll to bottom of first page)

Back