Ibis ti Mojo - drivetrain upgrade?

Wu-Tangled":1ptmlgph said:
sylvain":1ptmlgph said:
maybe some M950 stuff for Wu :) ...

Sylvain,

got any 950 skewers? With the cut out XTR logos?

:)

NO, got some brand new Dura Ace though (07 model).

Oh and a new XTR bar end shifter I just won but not sure what to do with!

Yes but the spring is the weaker sort (coil?)

Well the fact that wiggle are out of stock of the OEM new XTR stuff and that they won't reply to my email queries about delivery made me reconsider this.

Added to the fact that I raced the Ibis this week and apart from the rear mech the drivetrain still performs flawlessly (unlike me, I wacked into a tree and hurt my shoulder ...). And it looks awesome.

I also have a FS (Yeti ASR) that I will still use for endurance racing amongt other riding, this has a similar drivetrain (952 + DA 12/27 cassette), which would remain on it.

The new shifters apparently take some getting used to - and I would have different systems on each bike to confuse me even more.

Plus to be honest new XTR doesn't look that good!

So my current thought is: get a pair of 10-speed Dura Ace rear mechs for the bikes - medium cage can deal with 12/27 + 46/24, plus replace all cabling. And leave all the rest as it is and continue to fly the retro flag! :) (not to mention being able to spend some of the money saved on retrobits :)

sylvain":45pq21b3 said:
Plus to be honest new XTR doesn't look that good!

Oh I couldn't agree more.

I thought the last lot was fairly hideous (chainset mainly) but this one looks like a hardcore oversized logo'd version of what an XC race group should look like.

I suppose it's just fitting for the 'all mountain' upgrade market, but I have to agree with you Sylvain. New chainset is ugly (IMO)

:)

I don't mind the 03 version, love the crankset (being discounted too!)

I think the grey would match the satin finish of the frame too (any photoshopers with a moment to spare? :D .

but no way I'm going to those brake-lever-shifter thingies!

Did you say big old Ritchey tires?
I'm looking for some Megabites if you got em?

Oh dear ... it's not often I clean my bikes that thouroughly, but I wanted to post an update on the bike in its current "racing" configuration, with a new XTR drivetrain and front disc, blue Flite Syncros post and tubeless wheels. I've been enjoying it riding it for the current Gorrick Spring Series and was hoping to take it to a NPS and maybe the Nationals in July.

Was cleaning the tubes (with Cif it works best) and came across this hairline crack, at the weld where the seat tube changes diameter below the top tube (bike is upside down on the photo):

2336056944_c217ba8655_b.jpg

It could have been there for months, I don't know. It is less than half the circumference of the tube, about an inch in length. As I see it it is not situated in an overly stressed area, with the top tube and seat stay nearby providing some strength. But it could become an issue obviously.

For now I will keep riding it and check on the crack regularly. If anyone has an opinion on this option please do let me know. I had sworn to myself this was the frame I would never sell, well I guess that makes it very clear now :cry:

(ps: no scant I didn't cry. I'm pretty darn upset though ...)

Back