Shifting Shimano with Campag Ergos

oldgit

Retro Guru
Need to know the answer quickly.

I've got 8 speed Ergo levers
I can get some decent Shimano wheels

Now I know Shimano & Campag 8 speed were different, but I believe Campag 7 & 8 speed and Shimano 7 speed were the same spacing.
Therefore I'm assuming that the 8 speed Ergos will shift a Shimano 7 speed mech/chain/cassette?
The reason I want to do this is because my Ergos are imaculate, and you can't get useable Campag 7 & 8 speed cassettes/freewheels

worst case you can respace the shimano cassette to campag spacing, someone makes a specific kit but i can't think who, usa made begins with M? i think. madison import them i think.

although i'm sure the current campag wheelsets take the 8speed cassette? and i saw some cassettes on ebay yesterday, record, about £35

oldgit":8o1zyn0f said:
Need to know the answer quickly.

Therefore I'm assuming that the 8 speed Ergos will shift a Shimano 7 speed mech/chain/cassette
sorry, you cant. You could shift the ergos along with a pre 2000 campag mech on a 7 speed shimano cassette. So a shimano or a post 2000 campag mech wont work (they had different different pull ratios to the 7/8/first gen 9 speed campag mechs).

What you could do, and Ive done this successfully is use your 8 spd ergos with a shimano mech and 6 (SIX) speed shimano block/cassette. This cassette should fit onto the same 7 speed shimano freehub. Depends on whether you think 6 cogs are sufficient.

Clear as mud?

Ah right.

I've got a Campag 7 speed rear mech, would that with the Ergos shift over a Shimano 7 speed Cassette.?

I should have said getting a Campag rear wheel was the problem, not cassettes.

sorry guys but ergos work on shimano rear cassettes, check out 'shimergo' on the net lots of advice.
I run 9 speed ergos on 8 speed shimano cassette
I use 105 black rear gear (weight 121 gms)
sram 8 speed chain
also am converting campag 9 speed cassette to 8 speed with shimano 8 speed spacers
check out 'sheldon brown' on the net, all the sizes of ever cassette ever made is there.
dont forget Campag make virtually no 9 speed now and the cost of there
cassetes are crazy !!!!

The issue is never one of cassette, but shifter and mech combination. The OP was about that. You can fudge a Campag 8 speed setup to run on a Shimano 8, but you have an inaccuracy of 0.2mm per cog, which means that it gets very tetchy when the cables get a bit tired. Mixing Shimano 9 cassettes with Campag shifters and mechs sort-of works, but the difference per click is even worse and it usually only works if the cabling is very clean.

You CANNOT mix Shimano mechs and Campag shifters except with the hubbub mod. Even then, the low count Campag shifters pull too much cable to be much use.

The Camapg 10 / Shimano 8 combi is perfect though.

hamster":30l4hr6r said:
You CANNOT mix Shimano mechs and Campag shifters except with the hubbub mod. Even then, the low count Campag shifters pull too much cable to be much use.
not sure what you mean by "low count" campag shifters. If it helps, on my best bike, my 10 speed ergos work with a hubbub shimano 9 back end and its faultless.

The Camapg 10 / Shimano 8 combi is perfect though.
yep, as per my tourer. I'm surprised Orbeas is running 9 speed ergos with the 8 speed shimano back end?? but if it works, it works.

remembered wh makes the spacer kits, it's wheels maunfacturing, have used them before and they do work. they do loads of them depending on what mix of bits you are using.

pigman":2n55fjqu said:
not sure what you mean by "low count" campag shifters.

7 or 8 speed. The cable pull per click is huge - 8 speed will shift Shimano 6, but that's not exactly popular these days.

Back