New (not very retro) bike - guess price and weight

nickfrog

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hiya,

Sacrilege. I have sold my Sunn Exact to switch to Commencal and abandon the retro camp. One may spot a couple of retro bits though...

Guess the total cost of this bike as all parts were bought separately.

Guess the weight too. A hint = I am 90 kilos.

qybh9h.jpg

23uves8.jpg

29bhchd.jpg

15fjdww.jpg

2wntqmw.jpg

2qm2k3p.jpg

2zsupz9.jpg

Very nice frame, the seat stays have quite a retro look for new design. I would guess the weight to be about 25lbs

Commencal

I had 2005 Supernormal - very precise frame, though I always thought rear end was a bit too rigid for my tastes - prefer my old evo 2 and sold the commencal to a mate.

i'd guess around 26-27 lbs.

Re: Commencal

bobgarrod":3gv7vxa9 said:
I had 2005 Supernormal - very precise frame, though I always thought rear end was a bit too rigid for my tastes - prefer my old evo 2 and sold the commencal to a mate.

Absolutely, and coming from a steel frame the contrast is obvious. I am taking a gamble based on the fact that I rarely ride for more than 2 hours at a time and that the south downs trails where I live are so smooth and not very rocky. Needless to say that if I lived in the Alps, this wouldn't do.

Out of interest, was your 2005 the original frame with the very "tall" (almost flat) oblong chainstays? It was quite a lot stiffer than the NUTS5 more recent model like mine with more conventionnally shaped chainstays.

Nice bike and nice colour coding, although looking at the spec I think you may find the actual weight is a little higher than the quoted weights.

The brake levers look pretty low but they obviously work for you.

I expect to see some ride shots now with some dirt on it ;)

Cheers. I verified the weights prior to putting it together apart from the cranks and BB. Which ones look the most suspicious to you ? My scales may be optimistic!!!

My target was 24lbs, no more but certainly no less as I am heavy and I know things don't tend to last oterwise.

Re brake levers, I know it looks weird but I am so used to it now...

Had my first (muddy) outing yesterday on the South Downs a few miths have been dispelled:

1 - I did not find it particularly less confortable than my steel Sunn Exact. Having said that, the Sunn is stiff for a steel frame and the mud may have helped hide the harshness. On the plus side, the stiff chassis makes for a far more direct/responsive handling and steering.

2 - Disc brakes are an absolut revelation. I naively thought my XTR Vs were unbeatable and while the discs are no more powerful so far they are sooooo much more controlable and confidence inspiring.

3 - Reba forks - coming from SID SLs 99, the difference in stifness is shocking. I really liked the SIDs but the REBAs are amazing, albeit quite heavy.

4 - Compact frame with short stem. I have come down from 20 to 18 inch and 120 to 90mm. Maybe it's at the detriment of climbing potential but so much more fun otherwise. Going OTB is much easier though !!

Back