A bit of a Dilema - Please Help

Lemond Fan

rBotM Winner
Hi

I have been offered an ex Z Team actual team issue Craig Calfee Carbon bike with its original spec for aprx £1250.00. The bike is Miguel Arroyo's former bike. I have soon a small pic and it looks immaculate, this would involve me having to sell one of my steel Lemonds to fund it. Bearing in mind the red / white one is completely new unmarked frame (although 20 years old), with all the components NOS, whilst the steel black one I have has a full Campag Record 2006 groupset on that has done barely 100 miles since a complete rebuild and again effectively new as the frame was unmarked even after 16 years use. Any ideas, I cannot justify a 3rd bike for matters a married cyclist will know ;)

Please help with thoughts and an idea on the price as this seams a good price to me, bear in mind it has Campagnolo Deltas on.

Thanks

Tim

If I understand it right, the black lemond has been yours for 15+ years, and the red/white one was a recent nos find... Keep the black one with history. Build it with what you prefer for real use - old or new, but let the red one go first.

Thats my view tho.

Oh and before you do anything, can you see the new bike in the flesh , as it were? See if it makes you really feel you want it??

Lemond Fan":1wni9ii9 said:
Hi

I have been offered an ex Z Team actual team issue Craig Calfee Carbon bike with its original spec for aprx £1250.00. The bike is Miguel Arroyo's former bike. I have soon a small pic and it looks immaculate, this would involve me having to sell one of my steel Lemonds to fund it. Bearing in mind the red / white one is completely new unmarked frame (although 20 years old), with all the components NOS, whilst the steel black one I have has a full Campag Record 2006 groupset on that has done barely 100 miles since a complete rebuild and again effectively new as the frame was unmarked even after 16 years use. Any ideas, I cannot justify a 3rd bike for matters a married cyclist will know ;)

Please help with thoughts and an idea on the price as this seams a good price to me, bear in mind it has Campagnolo Deltas on.

Thanks

Tim

The price seems ok for what is after all a collectors item. Only 18 made (according to a quick google ;) ). What gruppo is on it, C-Record? Apparently the team rode DA. Also how on earth does one get offered such an item? I get a few things offered my way but it's normally Raleigh Lizards and the like.

As for three being too many for a married man. No.

Yes its one of the 18 will be C-Record, currently in the states so impossible to view so this will be a gamble. I know John google is wrong definitely Z (and then Gan) ran Campagnolo. I think you found the Jerome Simon bike which is Campag equiped yet the article says Shimano.

I never ever find team bikes normally I was wondering how ed was always successful. I by pure fluke bought a 1992 Lemond cycles brochure off the current owner off ebay. The bike has recently been back to Calfee for a service. Only other team frame I found recently was a late 1980's Condor from the Percy Bilton Squad that was never used even had the race number hanger on, wished I'd bought that as well as that never made its reserve and only hit £160.00

Getting to the final stages on this, would anyone say this is worth £1100

Attachments

• DSCF5239.JPG
    DSCF5239.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 622
If you're really stuck on getting the frame sorted, Calfee do repairs. As or £1100 - given that a C-Record groupset in decent nick is nearly worth that, a pair of Sigma rims on C-Record a couple of hundred you could easily make your money back on the parts if the frame is trash.

Back