1994 Kona Lava Dome

mayco

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
At last i finally get my hands on one of these. It's the same model i had back in the day when i was fit and actualy got out riding.

I won it on ebay about 2 weeks ago and i'm going to build it up as near to factory spec as possible. Well thats the plan at the moment, all could change very quickly. I've ditched the black Kona levers that came with it as they look crap, nothing like i remember.
So, here goes, i'll add to it as i get parts.

Frame: 19'' Tange double butted.

Fork: TB Project Two (94 explosif).

Headset: Control Center
Stem: Velocity (94 explosif)
Handlebar: Kona Race light 165 or Kona Racelight flat bars
Grips:
Barends: XLight stubbies

Brakes: Curve cantis or XT V's
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables: No name
Cantilever cable hangers: onZa Chill Pills
Brake Levers: High command

Shifters: Deore thumbies
Front Derailleur: XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M735 short cage
Derailleur Cables: No name
Cassette:
Chain:
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500
Crank Bolts: SRP USA
Chainrings: Sugino Super shifter
Chainring bolts: SRP USA
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals:

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT
Rims: Mavic X138
Hubs: STX RC (rear) Kona OB-1 (front)
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: IRC Mythos re-issue or Light Grey Kenda
Tubes:

Saddle: Kona Race Light
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder:

Weight:

Attachments

• 1994 Lavadome.jpg
    1994 Lavadome.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9,431
so it was you who won it for 56 quid then - lol,

recently bought an 18" but thought would like ot try a 19" and low and behold, one appears, had a punt, but alas you won it, well done, and cant wait to see it built

there are a few of these in here, so you should get some good ideas of what you wanna do.

Update

Yes Matt, i'm affraid so.
I had to have it, i got one stolen just like it, same colour and size years ago.
Sticking to my guns for now, see below for some parts aquired so far.
(Although i'm torn after seeing a rare grey one after browsing the forum.)

Xt QR's
XT M735 Rear derailers
Chill Pills and booster
Sugino Impell 500 (not pictured)

Attachments

• IMG_5630 copy.jpg
    IMG_5630 copy.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9,198
  • IMG_5633 copy.jpg
    IMG_5633 copy.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 9,177
ive secured a 19" but trying to sort of collection of it, is a real pain atm, good luck.

Update

Well... still have no forks for this but i continue to collect parts in the hope i may score some one day.
These are the bits i've collected lately. It looks like i'm going to build it to look like the original but with higher grade components.

Have done the green thing with the bolts etc, i may ditch these when it's built up but i like them at the moment. I've had a look at some green Kcnc Jockey wheels but they cost more than the rear mech and they have some crappy gold bits on them, so i'm leaving them for now.

I found a place for the respray just round the corner. Colour Tech. They have a good name, i think, but want £90 to just to respray the frame. Although thinking about it, thats for stripping, blasting, treating, priming, painting, decaling and a gloss lacquer. don't sound too bad after all.
I better email gil_m!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5897 copy.jpg
    IMG_5897 copy.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 9,005
  • IMG_5894 copy.jpg
    IMG_5894 copy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 9,005
  • IMG_5892 copy.jpg
    IMG_5892 copy.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 9,005
looks like a good selection so far...
as far as i can remember, the correct mechs should be m739 (what i went for) - IF you're going for period correct... or maybe you just prefer the older m735's??

if you ditch the green crank/chainring bolts, let me know, i'm curious to see how they'd look on mine... maybe too much ano with what i've already got tho.....

you going for original colour??

Yeah.. i'm going for the original colourways. Really like the green and grey combo.
I'm a photographic retoucher by trade so i'm really hot on colour, my biggest worry is the ability of the painters matching the colour exactly.
In two minds whether to just t-cut it, re decal and gloss lacquer over all the chips and dinks. We'll see.

The Mechs are wrong, i really like the XT M735 set. Cant bring myself to put an LX set on it.
This throws up a debate for me as to whether it should be built as a Cinder Cone if it has a better groupset on it???
Or is that because my head has been turned by the 1994/5 gold Cinder Cone. The next project i think.

As for the Chainring bolts albash82. I got these from the 'cycle repair man' in Scotland see link below. I thought they were a reasonable price for the lot. He's a great guy too! I'll let you know should i change my mind.
http://www.cyclerepairman.co.uk/SRP-USA ... c/1060.htm

A quick update

Just a quick update on parts.
I finally scored myself some forks in the last week. Had to resort to ebay, however am really happy with them.
Have put them into my LBS to add some thread before i cut them down to the right length.
Also got some bars, logo part intact.
I've put the feelers out for some wheels to finish this off nicely.
I'm still in two minds about wether to respray or not. It's pretty tatty in it's present state.
I wouldn't mind to much if the scrapes where from riding but i feel that some of the marks on the frame are from missuse and pure abuse.

Decals in the process of ordering from Gil. Has anyone removed old decals without messing up the original paint????

MattBrown i hope you've secured the forks with that frame, you'll have a task to find some to fit. I hope your luck comes quicker than mine.

Attachments

• IMG_5952 copy.jpg
    IMG_5952 copy.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 8,750
  • forks copy.jpg
    forks copy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 8,750
here is my one, now built up a 19", and just sold the 18"

Attachments

• 2010-02-20 16.50.04 [1024x768].jpg
    2010-02-20 16.50.04 [1024x768].jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 8,763