MacRetro Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
is it me or are there a few more potential SINGLE SPEED devotees
on here now
zigzag, kaiser,gazz,me rode one geared wonders on saturday
and there seems to be a bit of interest from "others"

tbh , i never gave the ss marin i had a chance as i only done a couple of miles on it :oops: if someone was to sell me a cheap tensioner then i'd maybe give it another go :roll: (i have the rear cog/spacers already ;) )

As for off road SS then I'm to blame.

Taken part in SSUK/SSEC 04 at Aviemore and SSUK 08 at Drumlanrig plus persuaded Kaiser, Gaz, DaveDH, Jamie Dyer and Jimi Hendrix to join me at SSUK 09 at Dalby with other retrobikers from around the country. Also heading to SSEC 2010 in the Forest of Dean with Jamie Dyer and ZigZag in April. Also I plan to go to SSUK 2010 in Wales in August !

Gaz is a definite convert, Kaiser, Jamie, ZZ and Jimi all have an SS in their stable, I have 2 at any given time one of which is fixed.

SS suits retro as it is unsophisticated and tough like our bikes, keeps you fit too :D

Fancy a SS only meet, just say and you'll see loads ;)

I love my SSE3, used it at Dunkeld last year and it was great, it's weight is a bonus though, i'm guessing it's around 21lb

e3.jpg

Hey Eck, i have a tensioner you can have, DMR i think ;)

I like that bike too jimi , picked it up at ssuk09 and I'd say it was more than a couple of pounds lighter than my 23lb cinder cone . I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 20lb area .

I'm convinced Jimi's bikes made of Helium Alloy or the gas from the fizzy pop inside the tubes is stopping the coke can thin tubes from collapsing :LOL:

perry":1kigqd90 said:
I like that bike too jimi , picked it up at ssuk09 and I'd say it was more than a couple of pounds lighter than my 23lb cinder cone . I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 20lb area .

Cheers Perry ;) , it's lighter now than it was at Dalby, i've ditched the heavy Maguras for TRP V's, USE post to replace the Kalloy one and White Industries cranks (real ones not Sugino's) to replace the ones i snapped :oops:

velomaniac":39jrdwks said:
I'm convinced Jimi's bikes made of Helium Alloy or the gas from the fizzy pop inside the tubes is stopping the coke can thin tubes from collapsing :LOL:

Could be right :) , but just as the bikes are getting lighter the rider is getting heavier, today = two bridies, a whole tube of Pringles, a heap of cheese and crackers left over Haribo's from yesterday and a two litre bottle of Pepsi Max, it's a wonder i make it up hills at all :LOL:

Could be all the farting from the gas in the Pepsi Max :)

SS

I will be joining too as i want to put SS on my Hardrock frame, any recommendations of what and where to buy etc,

Cheers,

Mac :twisted:

Hello Newbie :D

SS is dead simple to achieve and the parts are readily available, chainreactioncycles.com to name but one has a large selection of SS convertion kits and tensioners.

First remove all of that geared nonsense and if your bikes rear wheel has a freehub cassette remove that as well. Choose a single front chainring, middle for preference usually with 32 teeth and remove if possible the inner and outer rings. A SS specific middle chainring is best as it has taller teeth and no shifting ramps to dislodge the chain but the original will do as a start point.

Fit a SS specific single cog 16 or 18 teeth to the rear freehub body with a load of spacers that you get with the kit. Site along sprocket to chainring to ensure they're perfectly or as near as damit in line, this is important !.
Secure everything in place.

Choose a 1/8th inch pitch chain (BMX) for preference and connect up with minimum slack if possible. Then mount the tensioner youve chosen, provided its a rear derallier mounted type to the derallier mount to hold the chain in tension so it will not bounce off.

Get on bike and ride ;)

Back