And today I did......

I've waited weeks for some canti studs for the Fat Ti (in stooopid 5/16 UNC x 18tpi size :roll: ) from a company in Germany called http://www.brake-stuff.com and before I even had the first one anywhere near torqued up the bastard snapped inside the mount. Taken me a bloody hour and a half to get it out using the tools I had at home. I cant believe that a pukka company- especially in Germany where they are health and safety mad are selling canti studs with a wall thickness of just .25mm :shock: can you imagine what would happen if you actually tried using the brakes when mounted to that stud??
Just written a very nasty e-mail to them. Feckin livid. :evil:

Velo":11tgu7n0 said:
Si, do you own anything cheapo and run of the mill

Yes I have some cheap canti mounting studs if you want them??

;)

The Great Unwashed...

Today I had the dubious joy of going to the Job Center...

Not surprised so many folk are on the dole-my 'advisor' was making a token gesture of going through a few jobs and looked at one then exclaimed
''Christ you don't want that one-you'd be knackered by the time you got home''. Would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. To be fair to him, it was a shit job and I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole, but come on, at least let us go through the motions of him pretending to care and me pretending to try!

I also dug out the Flying Scot and sized up what needs done. Now that's good work...

know where you are coming from, just off the dole after 6 mths jobless and the whole set up is depressing- good luck on the job hunt mate.

well after lots of overtime , the wife in and out of hospital and being stranded in the house with the kids i finaly got some time in the cave today and started the build on the tripple disc..............

pics :D

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

the calipers will be black , centers of the discs orange and some more orange/white bits on there way still..........

just waiting on the mounts/adaptors to arrive :D :D :D

went out for a little thrash about
MEMO0003.jpg

MEMO0002.jpg

MEMO0001.jpg

rather annoyingly the camera memory card re-formatted its self
dumping every thing except 4 pics

BASTARD ***********

Superb Alex! The orange disks will look spot on, nae doubt. Have you got that funky B17 that you won yet? Oh aye, and I've got a ton of gear to get through to you from dyna, velo and TK. I'll PM and arrange.

Me and the Hairy Mary went for a spin up Carron Valley today for a proper introduction to 29'ing. Place was heaving, I don't think I've seen the car park busier, which was a bit of a shocker for January. Initial 29er impressions weren't good. The bike felt really sketchy on first climb - I was looking down to make sure the front QR wasn't broken. It's a really rocky trail, and given how the bike rode later, I'm going to put it down to the Kenda Nevegals not liking the slippy rocks. I can't say it's the quickest climber either, although that might be partly down to tired legs from yesterday.

Anyway, up to the top section of Eas Dubh - this really flows nicely after the work that's been done to it. It reminds me of the bottom blue section at GT now (albeit very short), complete with 3 wee optional jumps off slightly raised rocks, again a la GT. This part of the trail was gravel and dirt, and the Mary was instantly so much better. I really felt like I was aggresively throwing my weight around, making very big moves with the bike responding by simply gliding from corner to corner. I have to say, it was absolutely brilliant, grip was good and I kept off the brakes more than I normally would. The tight twisty forest section stuff after Kelpie was pretty good too. The trail is still rocky in there, but I felt much more confident on the bike now and the tyres and grip felt fine. Definitely not the most nimble, but it was cornering well. The bike was excellent on the Runway as well, only did this a couple of times though as legs were feeling the strain of too many Eas Dubh loops.

So, I'm thinking it suits the flowing fast trails the best. Possibly not the best of climbers, and not all that nimble in the tight stuff, but still enjoyable. Need to give it a whirl at GT now, see how it feels there.

Oh aye, and no effin' punctures at CV! On that basis alone, the bike is made of pure win :D

Back