1998 GT STS-DS 1000

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Couple of weeks ago I put a wanted Ad up on the forum looking for either a STS DH or DS. Eventually I came up trumps and managed to get hold of this :cool:

gt1.jpg

Now I already own a STS Lobo and a STS XCR 1000, so some might think I'm being a little greedy. Too right as I am just smitten with the looks of GT's Thermoplastic frames.

Interesting frame, been shown on here already by the previous owner but it does need another mention. Rear is anodised black disc only no rim brake mounts. Also the Fox Air shock has been machined to fit in the trunion mount of the STS's linkage. Never seen one like this before.

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

I was off work yesterday and had the house to myself, so I descended into the garage for a couple of hours and this is the result.

Frame GT STS 1000 DS
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z1 CR 100mm
Rear Shock: Fox Push Shock
Brakeset: Hope Disc
Shifters: Shimano XTR M952
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M952
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M952
Cabling: Shimano XTR
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-32
Crankset: RaceFace Ride XC
Bottom Bracket: Cook Bros Cobalt ISIS
Pedals: Xpedo
Headset: Raceface Deus
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB
Handlebar: Easton EA70
Stem: Syncros
Grips: Toxsin Lock-on
Chain Deflector: Shimano XT Sharkfin
Wheelset off a '02 Stumpjumper and only temp

I've already got Gil on the case of making a new set of correct decals

The saddle is going to be changed for a Ti SDG Bel Air, which is already on order. I am also on the look out for set of polished Raceface Turbines. Not bad for a couple of hours work :)

Here's the Pics

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3150.jpg

CIMG3151.jpg

CIMG3153.jpg

CIMG3154.jpg

CIMG3155.jpg

CIMG3156.jpg

CIMG3157.jpg

CIMG3158.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

Now together with these two the circle is complete and if he had a bike it would most definitely be one of these so as Vader says 'Now I am the master' :)

CIMG2984-3.jpg

CIMG2609-1.jpg

Very nice collection Gad.

Love the black ano rear end of that STS you have now. Well stealth.

only that Thermoplastic RTS to get if it's out there somewhere..... :LOL:

i think that thermo xcr looks great but a set of those World Cup SIDS with black box tech would look VERY cool.
I think they came with the carbon crown
or mabe a set of the manitou carbon sx forks but i think the rockshox spec is more in keeping.

Love your trio mate. I would kill for a Lobo and an XCR.. Didn't you land a great deal on that xcr and it's a minter?! There is a definate charm to Thermoplastic!

Congrats on the new addition to the family

Jammy git! When I am done with my Intense bikes, a Lobo and STS DH are on the list. Mind you, they come up for more money than my Intense's do :cry:

that lobo looks ace if you ever want to sell it let me know
i have some carbon pace triple clamps that would look just right on there

Very nice addition.

1st thing I thought of was the thermo RTS but as soon as I scrolled down it was the 1st reply :LOL:

What's the deal with the cable guide on the sliders? An oversight I guess.

Did the AC bumpers ever fit on the Monsters btw?

Thanks for the replies

Yep I'm now holding a full deck :cool:

The XCR is standard spec apart from stem and bars and is IMHO the best ride of the three, full XTR and is in mint condition all round. It did involve a 100 mile round trip to collect BUT I had it for a song £435 !! (would have paid nearly twice that for it but ssssh don't tell the seller that :))

The Lobo is to me the ultimate 90's DH bikes and it really is a work of art. I really really wanted one of these bitd but could never justify paying that much for a bike, since finishing the build I've only ridden this about a mile I just can't point it down a hill and 'hurt' it.

Xizang the bumpers fit - just - and a big thanks for them. The guide is on the stanchion until I can get my head round of where I can fit it to the crown :?:

I bought a STS-DH back in the summer I built it up / sold it / regretted it ever since. Since having the other two STS's I always been on the lookout for another DH or DS. Sold a few parts to fund the build and there you go 1, 2, 3. I'm intending for the DS to be my main retro ride. The seller did have it built up with modern parts all round :( . When the frame was first delivered I was a bit cheesed off as I thought the rear shock was knackered and losing air. I've since pumped it up and it's been holding air for over a week now, so a small disaster averted. I just had to go with the CNC brace on the Z1 Bombers IMHO matches the looks of the frame perfectly and has got reasonable performance. Now all I need is a set of Polished Raceface Turbines, I was contemplating XTR M952's but the Turbines would look stunning on the frame. Had to settle for modern Ride XC's at the moment :(. Also on the lookout for some silver X-lite brake boss blanks. So if you see either of these get in touch.

stevetait thanks for the decals offer but Gil has already done a set for me.

dan28 sorry mate the Lobo's not for sale and just to give you heads up, building one aint cheap and the parts are getting hard to find. NOS frame cost £300 (which was a bargain, right place right time) and with all the other parts on the spec it's pushing close to £1K. I funded this by buying and stripping 6 bikes to sell on. I can see you put a wanted ad up. It may be cheaper in the long run to buy a full bike.

Didn't even know that RTS existed until I saw the post. Shame it probably got crushed :( :( :(

Back