1996 Proflex 856

sammydog

Retro Newbie
After I built this I was told by some friends I should come here and post some pics of my new bike.

After finding cracks in my 955 and 855 (I will put pics of them up later) and not having the period parts amassed to complete my 854 I decided to do a modern version of the 856.

First off I had to find a frame. Surprised me really how easy it was to find an unused front triangle for the bike. The first pic shows the difference between the 855 and the 856.

855_955.jpg

The pivot holes in the 855 as it turns out were out of center and didn't line up from one side to the other. This probably explains why I broke so many axle bolts on the 855 but not on the 955. Also had swingarm cracking issues on the 855.
pivots.jpg

From here I was going to use one of my swingarms off the 855 or 955. Unfortunately one was cracked and the other I wanted to keep original. This time ebay came to the rescue and this gem was found.
swingarm.jpg

As I wanted to run a modern build (not retro I know, but I have a period 955 and soon to be restored 854) I needed to have disc tabs installed.
disc1.jpg

disc2.jpg

With the disc tabs on I was pretty much able to move on and finish the bike. Full XTR groupset with ritchey Carbon WCS to finish it off. Total weight in the end was 11.1kg's but I still need to put the carbon post on and replace the pedals so I think I can get it close to (or under) the 11kg mark, not that weight ever really influenced this bike.
proflexside2.jpg

proflexside.jpg

proflexdrive2.jpg

proflexdrive.jpg

proflexbrake.jpg

proflexfront.jpg

Still a few things I want to tweak, but after a decent ride on the weekend this is probably the most fun bike I have ridden in a long time. Its gotten me keen now to pull my finger out and finish the 854 (and probably get the cracks repaired in either the 955 or 855).

Nice :cool:

I had seen the pictures on the other forum but only from my mobile :( - so much better looking at them from work on a big screen :D (I am on my dinner !)

WD :D

I like other people's splendid bikes, and this bike its no exception - well done :cool:

I`m considering as one of my next project to do a Proflex, too.

Yours is very inspiring ;)

Good to see people like it. Even while I was building it I wasn't sure I had done the right thing by modifying the swingarm and building it up modern. For a while it felt like I was doing the wrong thing and I should have been putting the girvins on.

After riding it though, I really think this frame is every bit as good as other modern framesets I have owned recently.

I just wish it would stop raining so I could get out and use it more.

sammydog":1i7j1lyo said:
For a while it felt like I was doing the wrong thing and I should have been putting the girvins on.

After riding it though, I really think this frame is every bit as good as other modern framesets I have owned recently.
It's fast, light, sexy, and comfy. What more could you ask? :cool: :cool:

I'm feeling pretty bad, I raced the bike yesterday in some pretty horrendous conditions. Sort of weather I would normally reserve for my Single Speed.

Actually before the race the track was great, during the pre-race rider briefing it bucketed down and didn't stop till the last lap. Unfortunately I had to give it a hit out before a 24 hour this weekend.

What I found though, the bike rides really well. The BB looks high, but you don't notice it while riding. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the sweet spot on the shock as far as pressures go, but I am sure I will sort that out.

What worries me though is that every now and then I am getting a noticeable metallic clunk through the rear end. It seems to be something to do with the suspension but I can't work out the cause. It sounds like the noise I got from my old Monocoque Norco DH bike. Pivots are all done up nicely, the bushes on the shock are all new so I am at a loss. Maybe it is just one of the sounds of the bike, but I have never heard it on my other Proflex's.

sammydog":3mtljzby said:
I'm having a bit of trouble finding the sweet spot on the shock as far as pressures go

Hang on a second, I thought the bike looked a bit familiar - I've been reading up on as much as I can about making a mount for an eyelet shock, yours is holding up ok I take it?

sammydog":3mtljzby said:
I am getting a noticeable metallic clunk through the rear end.

I bit different to the PF but when I swapped my coilover shock on my Marin to an air shock, I'd initially set my rebound a bit to rapid so was getting a bit of a ping when it fully extended too quickly, maybe try softening the rebound a bit and see if that helps :?

Back