Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy fork Vs. BOI (Big One Inch):my forks

Tallpaul":p95btxcj said:
Do you have the frame to match the Chameleon BOI?

No, but now that you asked, this might help date my fork as well, as this BOI was sold to a company called Ionic to be mated with their Johnny Rotten ss frames in the late 90's

there's a review on mtbr of one back in 1999, and it states that one of the favorite parts of his ride is the "pimpy" Fat City fork:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-rigi ... 99crx.aspx

perhaps, Fat City Cycles, after their move to NY, sold out all the last of their BOI forks since, as Rody stated above, the "need" for front suspension made it obsolete. Companies like Ionic probably bought a bunch to mate with their frames...this is pure speculation on my part.

Dr S":p95btxcj said:
Good thread Rob. Heres something to consider also. I have a Yo fork on my 92 Yo Eddy and the axle to crown measurement is 390 mm. The later Yo fork i have on my Ti is 410mm. Both have Campy drop outs and both have threaded steerers. When I bought the longer fork for the Ti it had a decal on the leg the same as in your pic. We need to keep digging and work on a definative timeline of what changes were made and when.

Si

Thanks, Si.

The axle to crown measurement of my BOI (green), (measured to where the lower race would sit), is 420mm. The leg itself from axle to top, (yo eddy decal), measures a bit under 410mm.
These same measurements on my Yo Eddy (red) fork come out to 390mm (like your 92), with the legs coming in at approximately 370mm.

The Yo Eddy has campy dropouts; I can't make out the dropouts on the BOI.

It looks like my Yo Eddy was one of the first, while my BOI was one of the last; everything else would fall somewhere in the middle :LOL:

We need to know the date on the very first one and the date of the very last. Though our forks would fit with what Rody wrote and I quoted from fatcogs.

What confuses me is how I have a Yo Eddy fork but with suspension corrected length and a threaded steerer. If the BOI superceded the Yo in late 92 how many Yo forks weremade with corrected length?

Si

Dr S":23n43w6x said:
What confuses me is how I have a Yo Eddy fork but with suspension corrected length and a threaded steerer. If the BOI superceded the Yo in late 92 how many Yo forks weremade with corrected length?

Si

It could have been a special order fork.

Dr S":t7mpqzl5 said:

Si

What's the blade length on your yo eddy fork?

The blade length of the earlier fork on my 92 Yo is 375mm from axle to top of leg. The later Yo Eddy fork on my Ti is 390mm measured in the same way.

Si

Dr S":15uhea70 said:
The blade length of the earlier fork on my 92 Yo is 375mm from axle to top of leg. The later Yo Eddy fork on my Ti is 390mm measured in the same way.

Si

Hmmm, I go back to my original statement over on your Ti Fat thread...that Yo fork is quite mysterious :?

I know andrew mentioned special order, but did they do that much on forks? There's a former, well informed, FCC worker/welder currently posting over on Fat cogs; perhaps I should request him to this thread...maybe he can shed some light

How do these compare to Tange Struts, which are basically the same design fork?
Ti Struts weigh 630g, Cro-Mo Struts weigh 880g (for 160mm steerer, claimed weights)

FluffyChicken":t0k0d108 said:
How do these compare to Tange Struts, which are basically the same design fork?
Ti Struts weigh 630g, Cro-Mo Struts weigh 880g (for 160mm steerer, claimed weights)

I'm going to get them on a scale shortly. To me, they do not compare, aside from the design, night and day for some reason :)

I have a pair of Tange Fat Blades designed by Chris Chance and made in Japan. They have a segmented crown like a Yo butvthe legs are curved at the lower end. I cannot remember the exact weights but they were well over a pound heavier than a Yo fork. I found the ride to be harsher but also dead and lifeless. As Rob rightly says there is no comparison.

Si

All the dimensions from the sunset fork you've already got, but I can add my '93 to the mix. My sister is mailing out my '91 fork wreckage soon, so I can measure along the twisted metal in a week or so and add it too.

This fork is original to the frame, both '93, both suspension corrected. It is a medium. My '91 and '92 had the same general dimensions, but on the '93 the length of the fork is made up having a shorter head tube. The result is that the '93's down tube and top tube nearly touch as they converge at the head tube, while there is an inch or so between them on headtubes of the '91 and '92.

Axle-crown is approx 16 inches, from the axle to the tops of the legs is 15.25 inches. Here are some pics to give an idea of clearance, etc. Diameter of the legs is 1.125.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 5,449
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5,448
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 5,449
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg